Title: Senior Lawyer
Location: Milton Keynes
Salary: up to Â£49,298 DOE (6 month FTC)
We are currently looking for a Senior Lawyer to provide legal advice and services to support the Council to deliver its objectives.
In addition, the successful candidate will be supporting the Principal Lawyer in their team and promoting the Council's Values and embedding a corporate outcome focused approach to legal work.
This is a fixed term contract for 6 months. Due to the current situation this role will be completed remotely although on occasions the successful candidate may be asked to visit the office.
- To manage a caseload of medium and high level matters ensuring that all work is both of a high quality and delivered in a timely manner. All work should be undertaken with the purpose of assisting the Council to achieve its business objectives and operates within the wider policy context.
- Ensure the delivery of value for money services to high practice standards within a culture of continuous improvement.
- To provide training and guidance to the client department and legal team in their core area of work
- Ensure through compliance with robust performance standards the delivery of services to best practice standards
- Through high quality service, advocacy, advice and casework to support the Council in achieving its outcomes successfully. To ensure that you have the current skills and competencies to advise on all relevant matters and that you ensure that these skills and competencies develop and adapt over time to meet future business developments.
- To establish and maintain a deep understanding of the client's business needs and objectives as these evolve over time through building professional relationships, ensuring those objectives are understood and shared by colleagues.
- As a Senior Lawyer to assist in supervising the advice, advocacy and casework of more junior lawyers as arranged with the Principal Lawyer through supervision or other arrangements.
- Accountable, with the Principal Lawyer, for the delivery of key performance targets for the team.
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to the Council's Values and encouraging and holding to account those values throughout their team.
- Provide legal advice and guidance to all departments in relation to legal issues particularly in relation to complex matters to assist the Council to deliver its objectives.
- To undertake advocacy (if appropriate to work area) in all levels of Court on own matters and on behalf of the team as workload allows.
- Take responsibility for cases from instruction through to completion to ensure successful outcome and to attend at client meetings, meetings with barristers and meetings with external solicitors where appropriate To provide clear and concise advice, both verbal and written.
- Through case supervision, particularly where advocacy undertaken on behalf of other team members, to ensure knowledge and skill transfer to staff. To develop a culture of openness and approachability with clients and colleagues.
- Works as a team member supporting the team in achieving its team outcomes successfully. To manage the allocated Lawyer and Paralegal (if applicable) to ensure outcomes on own caseload are achieved.
- Communicate (both orally and in writing) with client department officers in plain English in order to give advice and guidance on legal issues and offer legal options and advice. Ensure advice is practicable and reflects the business needs of clients.
- To complete work in a timely manner. To be accountable, with the Principal Lawyer, for team understanding that delayed or uncompleted work does not assist the council to achieve its objectives.
- Maintain a detailed knowledge of current law and communicate it within the team. Monitor and report upon proposed legislation/case law/statutory guidance and its effects upon clients in order to ensure that the Council is acting in accordance with the law and is best placed to achieve its objectives.
- To identify where legal changes impact on the Council and devise strategies to adapt work practices to meet challenges and maximise opportunities from legal developments.
- Ensure compliance with and fulfilment of the post holder's professional obligations (training, conduct etc) as a Legal Practitioner.
- Assist the Principal Lawyer with the supervision and development of members of the team. To be responsible for supervision of allocated Paralegal (if applicable)
Please contact Jade Halil if you would like to be provided with a full job description.