GRADUATE PERSONAL ASSISTANTS REQUIRED TO WORK FOR PHYSICALLY DISABLED UNIVERSITY STUDENTS:
- 2020/21 Academic year and in some cases beyond.
- Start: September 2020 or sooner at student’s home
- Reporting to and employed by: Student
- Residential Status:“Live In” whilst on shift
We seek to recruit enthusiastic, outgoing individuals, preferably recent graduates or people with equivalent experience, to the posts of Live in Personal Assistant. To provide academic and social support as well as their personal care. We have vacancies to work for disabled students at university in student halls and on campus in London and other universities across the country.
We are looking for candidates interested in working in a university environment, who have an interest in teaching or education generally.This is an opportunity to support a student achieve their academic goals and experience independent living.
AskJules will arrange full training, supervision and support for successful applicants.
This is a fantastic opportunity if:
- you are a recent graduate wanting time to plan your next career steps;
- you are taking a gap year.
The personal competencies expected of all PAs are:
- The ability to communicate clearly and tactfully using appropriate methods and have an awareness of the impact of your own communication on others;
- Able to maintain positive relationships with all and able to work as an effective and flexible part of a team.
- Willingness to accept responsibility for your own actions; the ability to prioritise effectively, meet deadlines and accept challenges.
- The professional competencies expected of a Personal Assistant are:
- Have the personality and presence required to carry out required duties effectively;
- Have a good rapport with young people and act as a positive role model to them;
- Be energetic, flexible and positive;
- Be imaginative, articulate, adaptable and keen to make a difference;
- Be supportive of the particular ethos and expectations of the student;
- Be flexible and creative in approach.
- As a Personal Assistant, you will be an integral part of the student's university experience. The primary role is to provide quality care and academic support to our young clients at university and in some cases at home during the holidays.
- You will work under the direction of the student with support and guidance of AskJules Ltd.
- You will have access to and be responsible for confidential information and documentation and must ensure confidential or sensitive material is handled appropriately and accurately.
- The student is a wheelchair user and employs PAs to help with all the things their disability prevents them from doing for themselves including personal care.
- As a Personal Assistant, you will be required to:
- Work closely with the student, undertaking duties on a rota basis with the other members of the team to include a variety of daytime, evening and overnight shifts including weekends;
- Duties will include personal care, academic and social support;
- Work with the team to ensure information and issues arising during your shift are correctly reported and followed-up;
- Assist the student with administration tasks as required;
- Provide‘on call’ cover for absent colleagues.
- Occupy your accommodation and be on call for emergencies during the night (in line with your rota);
- Assist in emergency evacuations in halls, if the situation arises, as instructed by the halls manager;
- Encourage the student to engage in clubs/activities and societies;
- Maintain good order, appearance and behaviour.
- Establish a productive relationship with the student, acting as a role model and setting high expectations for their study and coursework;
- Assist the student with the organisation of events and extra-curricular activities;
- Support in note taking during lectures, seminars and meetings.
The exact duties will be agreed with the successful candidate to make best use of his/her skills and talents.
We are currently recruiting for graduates to work for students in London and other universities across the country, studying a range of subjects including: -
- Applied Sports Science
- Applied Human Nutrition
- Art & Design
- Computer Science
- Economics & Politics
- English and Media Studies
- Film & TV studies
- Film and Television
- Football Studies and Business
- Graphic Design
- Journalism Studies and Media Production
- Modern History
- Music Production
- Music Composition
- Musical Theatre
- Speech & Language Therapy
- Sports Coaching
- Sport Journalism
- Software Engineering
- Web Design and Development
HOURS OF WORK
The university academic year spans 30 to 42 weeks of which you be required to work a minimum of 15 weeks (one week on, one week off). You will be expected to be available to cover for sickness or absenteeism when required. Extra work as a “Bank PA” may be available with other clients on your weeks off.
You will be expected to be available to work between 8 and 10 hours per day.You will be on call for the rest of the day with a minimum of 2 hours of free time per day.
When on shift, you will reside in your designated accommodation.
You will not be required to sleep in overnight on your days/weeks off as the PA accommodation will be occupied by another Live-in PA.
The salary for this post will be £120 per day / £840 per week worked during term time.There may be the opportunity to work extra days/weeks at university or at home during the holidays.
Accommodation for use whilst on shift will be provided, free of charge.