Salary: £25,198 to £36,028 per annum (dependent on experience and inclusive of annual role-based allowance).
Contract Type: Open-Ended
Hours: Full Time
Closing Date: 30th August 2020
Interview Date: W/C 14th September 2020
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest multi-disciplinary research organisations. ISIS Neutron and Muon Source is based at the STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire and is a world-leading centre for research in the physical and life sciences. It is owned and operated by the STFC.
STFC’s ISIS Neutron and Muon facility is a leading centre of material science excellence. The facility performs cutting edge research into the structure and properties of materials at an atomic and molecular level. It is the most productive research centre of its type in the world. Each year we welcome around 2000 visiting scientists who complete over 1000 experiments.
STFC is one of nine organisations that have been brought together to create UK Research and Innovation (UKRI); an organisation with a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
The mechanical technician Band C role involves working as part of a team supporting our existing neutron and muon beamlines within the ISIS Experimental Operations Division. The mechanical technician at Band D will be expected to contribute in a particular relevant technical field – such as motion control. They also would be expected to demonstrate leadership and management skills and have the ability to effectively manage contractors and staff.
Your duties and responsibilities will include:
* Assembling mechanical systems to engineering drawings
* Installing mechanical systems and assemblies on beamlines and instruments in a scientific environment
* The maintenance and repair of these installed systems, including hydraulics, pneumatics and mechatronics
* Producing high quality machining work (including turning and milling) to close tolerances working to sketches, engineering drawings and verbal instructions as appropriate
* Working with engineers, scientists and visiting users of our facility on finding solutions to mechanical challenges and problems
* Working safely and ensure the safety of others in a scientific and engineering environment.
As a Band D Technician, in addition to the above duties, your duties and responsibilities will include:
* Providing technical leadership in a specific technical area relevant to ISIS Experimental Operations beamline support
* Providing any necessary management and supervision of contract staff
* Providing any necessary line management to mechanical technicians
* Training of apprentices and less experienced staff in appropriate fitting, machining and manufacturing techniques
* Assisting in the planning of maintenance and shutdown activities.
ISIS operates four 50 day cycles per year. During these cycles ISIS operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so some overtime is required for this post and in addition on-call is required for this role.
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation, and our goal is to deliver economic, societal, scientific and international benefits to the UK and its people – and more broadly to the world.
The following criteria will be assessed through shortlisting (S), at Interview (I) or both (S&I)
You should have:
* Mechanical Engineering Apprenticeship with NVQ level 3 or similar with relevant experience (S)
* Experience working in a precision assembly environment (S)
* A sound understanding of mechanical engineering principles (S&I)
* A good understanding of engineering maintenance practices (S&I)
* Good communication skills are essential (I)
* Good writing skills/record-keeping and PC literacy e.g. Windows/Office (S&I)
* Excellent interpersonal and team working skills are essential, as is the ability to engage effectively on technical issues with staff and facility users at all levels (I)
* A sound understanding of mechanical engineering workshop practice and of appropriate workshop safe work practice (S&I)
* You must have a good work ethic, be highly motivated and have the willingness to learn new skills and techniques.(I)
You should have:
* CAD experience is beneficial. (S)
To be considered for the Band D role, in addition to the above criteria, you should also have:
* Either expertise in a particular specialism – for example, motion control; or be able to demonstrate the ability to manage a small team of technicians/contractors. (S&I)
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
UK Research and Innovation recognises and values employees as individuals and aims to provide a pay and reward package that motivates staff to the best of their ability. The reward and benefit package includes a flexible working scheme, an excellent Defined Benefit pension scheme, 30 days annual leave allowance and a number of other benefits.
We are committed to developing employees in their roles throughout their career. Learning and development plans enable employees to continue their professional development through training and development opportunities such as e-learning, classroom training and on-the-job experiences. We encourage our employees to share their learning across teams and organisations.
We strive to make decisions based on individual merit and ability. We welcome applications from all sections of the community and promote equality of opportunity in accordance with the Equality Act 2010. As holders of Disability Confident Employer status, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
As this job does not fulfil the Home Office Code of Practice criterion for obtaining sponsored migrant worker status we will be unable to apply for sponsorship for anyone not eligible to work in the UK. At interview, all shortlisted candidates are required to bring with them identification documents and original documents that prove they hold or can obtain the right to work in the UK.
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role and stating if they are applying for a band C or D role. Please also state where you saw this role advertised.
Online applications only. Please submit a covering letter and CV ensuring that the IRC reference is included in the filename description of each document uploaded. Please note that failure to address the above criteria or submitted without a covering letter may result in your application not being considered. Early application is encouraged as applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.
If you would like to receive this advert in an alternative format (e.g. large print, Braille, audio or hard copy), are unable to apply online or do not wish to create an account but would still like to apply for a specific role, please contact us by telephone.
If you have not already logged into iRecruitment (including as a current employee) you will be re-directed to the login/register page by clicking the "apply now" button. If you don't have an account with us, by choosing to register you consent to UK SBS processing the information you provide as part of the Recruitment Service. You can select appropriate job alerts and notifications as part of your account preferences, and you are able to close your account (withdraw consent) should you wish to do so. Before starting your online application and inputting your personal details, please read our Privacy Notice which contains full details of how your information is processed once you have made an application.