Salary: £38,969 - £43,300 per annum (dependent on skills and experience and inclusive of annual allowance)
Grade: UKRI E
Contract Type: Open Ended
Hours: Full Time
Closing date: 6th September 2020
Early applications are encouraged as applicants will be reviewed and interviews will take place on an on-going basis.
The RAL Space, Space Engineering & Technology Division is recruiting Space Systems Engineers in order to support a growing number of ongoing and new programmes. This portfolio of programmes covers a wide range of applications (Space Instrument Systems, Space Physics, Earth Observation and Space Technology Development) and will provide you with opportunities to provide technical leadership of a range of projects involving ground support, calibration and flight hardware at all stages of the space project lifecycle; from pre-project feasibility studies, through to flight operations.
Depending on your mix of experience and skill set, the position will be tailored to focus on one or more of the following areas; Concurrent Design, Space Technology Road-mapping, Space Physics instrumentation and Earth Observation. The post offers longer term professional development opportunities in Systems Engineering specialisations and Technical Programme Management.
List of Duties/Responsibilities
* Systems Engineering input to existing and future space projects
* Conceptual instrument design for future space projects
* Leading the instrument/mission requirement definition and flow down to subsystem process
* Writing requirement specifications for subsystems, materials, processes
* Technical management of design concept during development, preliminary design and detailed design
* Detailed project work in planning, executing and reporting of tests, verification and calibration activities (including model and prototypes)
* Commissioning and operation of space hardware
* Preparation of proposals for future lines of work
* Investigate future ideas with academic and industrial partners
* Management of significant work packages and/or small projects
* Line Management of junior members of staff within the systems engineering group
* Line Management of junior members of staff within the systems engineering group.
Contacts and Communication
* Regular contact with external customers
* Regular contact with a variety of space engineering and scientific support staff both internal and external to STFC
* Regular contact with RAL Space senior management team
* Will be required to talk to the press and members of the public about your projects
* Will report directly to Band F Group leader or Division head depending on the grade.
Personal Skills and Attributes
* Ability to work effectively in teams; both as a team member as well as in a leadership role
* Ability to stimulate and nurture collaborations with academic and industrial partners
* Effective written and verbal communication
* Demonstrated ability to quickly learn and adapt to new technologies
* High level of self motivation and drive
* Highly organised with good time management skills.
Any other Relevant Information
* Available to travel/work in the UK and overseas for meetings, etc.
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation, and our goal is to deliver economic, societal, scientific and international benefits to the UK and its people – and more broadly to the world.
Shortlisting (S) and Interview (I) Criteria
* Undergraduate degree (or equivalent) in Engineering or Physics (S)
* Expertise in one space related engineering discipline (S&I)
* Knowledge of at least one additional space related engineering discipline (S&I)
* Aerospace or science research project experience at all project stages (S&I)
* Systems Engineering experience on aerospace or scientific instrument development project (S&I)
* Experience with design and/or analysis software tools (S&I)
* Strong communication skills (verbal and written), e.g. experience of proposal writing and making recommendations to collaborators and “subject matter experts” (S&I)
* Ability to cultivate collaborations with external academic and industrial partners (S&I)
* Ability to manage a workload on a range of projects with competing time demands (I)
* Ability to “manage upwards” as well as downwards (I)
* Ability to work autonomously towards a goal, driven, confident, and self motivated (I)
* Ability to lead and be a proactive team member (I)
* Analytical with strong problem solving skills, and a proven track record. (I)
* Post graduate degree in Spacecraft Engineering or relevant field (S)
* System engineering qualification (S)
* Space project experience (S)
* Familiar with principles of concurrent design (S&I)
* Experience in mechanism and control design (S&I)
* Experience of technology development (planning, breadboarding) (S)
* Experience in the application of a range of ECSS standards (S)
* Experience with proposal writing in response to ESA ITTs. (S)
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
UK Research and Innovation recognises and values employees as individuals and aims to provide a pay and reward package that motivates staff to the best of their ability. The reward and benefit package includes a flexible working scheme, an excellent Defined Benefit pension scheme, 30 days annual leave allowance and a number of other benefits.
We are committed to developing employees in their roles throughout their career. Learning and development plans enable employees to continue their professional development through training and development opportunities such as e-learning, classroom training and on-the-job experiences. We encourage our employees to share their learning across teams and organisations.
We strive to make decisions based on individual merit and ability. We welcome applications from all sections of the community and promote equality of opportunity in accordance with the Equality Act 2010. As holders of Disability Confident Employer status, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
The closing date for applications is 6th September 2020.
Online applications only. Please submit a covering letter and CV ensuring that the IRC reference is included in the filename description of each document uploaded. Please note that failure to address the above criteria or submitted without a covering letter may result in your application not being considered.
If you would like to receive this advert in an alternative format (e.g. large print, Braille, audio or hard copy), are unable to apply online or do not wish to create an account but would still like to apply for a specific role, please contact us by telephone.
If you have not already logged into iRecruitment (including as a current employee) you will be re-directed to the login/register page by clicking the "apply now" button. If you don't have an account with us, by choosing to register you consent to UK SBS processing the information you provide as part of the Recruitment Service. You can select appropriate job alerts and notifications as part of your account preferences, and you are able to close your account (withdraw consent) should you wish to do so. Before starting your online application and inputting your personal details, please read our Privacy Notice which contains full details of how your information is processed once you have made an application.