Department/CoE and reporting line
Steering Group/People, reporting to the CEO
We firmly believe that The Marketing Practice (TMP) is the best place for B2B marketers. We are one of the fastest-growing and most-awarded B2B marketing agencies in the world, working with exciting companies like Microsoft, Salesforce and O2 on cutting-edge global programmes from our three international offices. And because of that growth and scale, there are heaps of opportunities for ambitious, committed marketers to succeed and grow at TMP – whether that means taking the next step on your career ladder, working with experts across marketing disciplines to develop new skills, or on-the-job learning with our bespoke TMP Academy training programme.
We believe in playing to people’s strengths, and in the importance of clear contracting. Clear, succinct job descriptions are a critical part of that.
The Head of People is responsible for developing and executing a global People strategy including all aspects of the employee lifecycle.
Our people are our superpower. And as such, the Head of People is the nurturer, developer and supporter of that superpower. Alongside typical HR and talent responsibilities, they are the driver of our plan to create the best workforce in B2B marketing.
They ensure that TMP continues to be a great place to work, attracting, developing and retaining the very best talent.
They will take ownership of these outcomes across our current and future operating regions, including the UK, Germany, the USA and Australia.
Salary: £70,000 - £90,000 per annum depending on experience
Job duties and responsibilities
1. Champion a high-performance culture with a focus on successful outcomes, and a clear direction for how individual development plans contribute to TMP performance culture.
2. Develop and implement a comprehensive program for talent management, career pathing, performance excellence, coaching, compensation and employee relations
3. Ensure and oversee a performance review program that supports a continuous evaluation of trends and employee development. Program will include recommendations and actions for improvement, where appropriate, and guidance for facilitating and executing.
4. Own the evolution of an employee culture that reinforces TMP’s core values and drives the desired behaviours, including internal communications, and employee recognition programs
5. Lead TMP’s People department, including the development of individuals on the team, skills required to be successful, and overall capabilities of the department
6. Take responsibility for the core deliverables of our People department: recruitment, learning and development, employee engagement, pay and reward, talent management, HR information systems and financial planning of the department
7. Create and execute a long-term learning and development strategy with the Steering Group, which supports building the best B2B marketing workforce globally
8. Contribute to long-term goals around business and people development, including succession planning and international growth
9. Create and execute a plan for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion that aligns with our values, business strategy and commitments to our employees, clients, and communities
10. Develop and govern HR policies, ensuring that all local required legislation is adhered to in the implementation of our People strategy
11. Regularly review policies and procedures to ensure they are legally compliant and promote core values.
12. Own TMP staff communications and relations, particularly as it relates to change management as the company grows and evolves
13. Consult, advise, and coach managers to provide strategic counsel on all people matters and oversee complex employee relation issues including assessment, resolution, and appropriate management
14. Lead the analysis of employee feedback and data, with the aim of creating a measurable framework for monitoring employee satisfaction, engagement, and trends
KPIs for the role
* Staff satisfaction (measured monthly through our 121 process)
* Staff engagement (measured through our annual staff engagement survey)
* Staff retention/attrition (you will set these goals by region in partnership with the rest of the leadership team)
* Achieving recruitment goals
* Staff on-boarding effectiveness (time-to-value and based on probation completion and retention)
* Year-on-year improvement of all measures in the staff engagement survey
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Communication skills – team leadership, managing diverse personalities and viewpoints. Consequently emotional intelligence, empathy and the ability to build relationships and collaborate with employees at all levels are vital
* Role modelling – As a senior member of the executive team, ability to demonstrate and lead on the values, initiatives and culture of the organisation
* Assertiveness – we’re looking for a People leader who can direct and guide our team of leaders and managers, to lead to better outcomes for our people
* Professional expertise – A strong working knowledge of employment law issues in core operating regions of the company, best practice processes for disciplinaries, redundancies and payroll are required, as well as experience of employee relations
* Commercial acumen – being involved in strategic decision-making within the business as an influencer and director. “Cherishing our commercial success” is one of our values, and as such all leaders are expected to have a strong commercial lens
* Coaching and mentoring – Whether for senior executives, junior colleagues or middle management, you will be proficient in coaching and mentoring individuals to be better managers and leaders
* Trust and discretion – As a member of the executive team, you will interface with the CEO, CFO and other senior managers on a regular basis. You will become a trusted confidante on talent issues, unafraid of giving your opinions and expertise
* Organisational skills – personal efficiency, time management skills and the ability to prioritise competing demands are key
* Broad HR generalist experience (10 years +), ideally from an international professional service or people-based business
* Held previous positions of seniority, able to establish credibility and build department accountability
* Experience of managing HR/people outcomes internationally
* Experience of acting as a role model and leading teams
* Experience of driving people transformation, changing the HR/people strategy of an organisation and/or overseeing cultural evolution
* Managed a wide variety of employee relations cases including redundancy, grievances, disciplinaries etc.
* Experience leading organisational change from a People perspective
* Bachelor’s degree is minimum; Master’s degree in business administration, human resources management, industrial relations, or even a law degree is desirable.
* CIPD qualified with evidence of continuous professional development.