Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Design Manager to join our Ground Engineering team to work in Derby.
Plan, prioritise and manage the design workload across the driven and ground improvement business for both work winning and contract purposes for the three regions on BBGE. To manage the technical function of the BBGE business, ensuring that we provide our customers (internal and external) with the best and safest solutions and by providing the best innovative technical support/advice available in the market. To assist the Technical Director to achieve best technical governance of our activities and to ensure that risk is communicated and managed effectively.
What you'll be doing
As a Design Manager, your main responsibilities are as follows:
- Support the Technical Director to provide input into the business stream strategies and ensure that the design strategy meets the business needs.
- Manage the design team and CAD team resource and ensure that they are focused on supporting the delivery of the designs to meet the needs of the business
- Support the delivery teams, verifying the work of others in a timely and efficient manner, and providing expert technical support
- Provide a temporary works design service to both tenders and project delivery team
- Ensure design risks are considered and prepare design risk assessments.
- Communicate residual design risks to others
- Provide strong technical support to tenders and support the work winning team in identifying innovative and robust solutions
- Lead design assurance on projects through conducting audits and regular meetings with project teams, identifying best practice, areas for improvement and areas of concern
- Co-ordination and management of input from consultants and specialist sub-contractors.
- Lead the development of BIM and FE design processes across the Driven and GI Business.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant technical consultants and suppliers,
- Provide technical support and attend work winning interviews with current or potential customers
- Ensure that learning and best practice is shared across the business stream and the CSUK business as a whole
- Maintain personal expertise and knowledge to ensure that ground engineering is at the forefront of the industry both technically and in using the latest technologies and standards
- Exercise designer obligations of the Construction (Design and Management) regulations
- Lead, develop and coach individuals to build high performing teams and create a pipeline of talent.
Who we're looking for
The following qualities and experience are essential:
- Individuals must have of a recognised profession qualification (MICE or MIStructE) and a valid CSCS card.
- This is a key role for an individual with extensive up to date technical knowledge of temporary works design and ground engineering and industry best practice. They will be both focused and thorough and have the gravitas and professional credibility to advise senior management when something needs immediate redress together with the tenacity and drive to ensure that the necessary action is taken. This individual will, therefore, be a subject matter expert with a good understanding in other areas in the engineering field.
- Good working knowledge of structural and geotechnical software packages and BIM is required. Must be proficient in routine and complex geotechnical calculations.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with partners and delivery team members under time pressure. Customer centric and flexible in approach, they will have the strategic and creative insight to understand the range of opportunities in invitations to tender and be willing to challenge the norm. The individual will know what good looks like in bid submissions and work winning and have hands on experience of leading technical aspects of work-winning bids in a timely manner.
- The individual should have a desire to continuously pursue innovation and development, with a focus on the customer and the ground engineering business.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Ground Engineering offers a range of services across the construction sector, from piled foundations to ground improvement, testing and analysis. We have established our reputation through our integrated design approach to every project, from the small to the very large.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists