OMOP Factory, Real World Solutions (RWS) Technology
The OMOP Factory is a team within IQVIA's RWS Technology global business unit. Our goal is to ensure any patient dataset can be accurately, reliably and reproducibly converted to a standard format (OMOP) to enable researchers and pharmaceutical companies to run observational studies, and thus find out what works and what doesn't in healthcare.
As a Senior Scala Developer in such a new team, you will play an important role in driving product innovation. You will be part of a scrum team, working with other developers, the scrum master and product owner in the Brighton office while coordinating with internal customers in the East Coast US office.
We place a strong emphasis on cross-functionality within the team though expect individual contributors to cultivate their own specialism (i.e. become "T-shaped"). Our technology stack presently consists of the following:
- Microservice fleet written in Scala utilising Akka and Cats
- Some Python services utilising pandas and Plotly
- Frontend implemented with TypeScript, React and Redux
- Tested with Puppeteer
- Data tier consisting of Apache Spark, HDFS, MySQL and Graphite
- Orchestrated with Kubernetes
- CI achieved with Jenkins and automated Dockerised testing
- Deployed onto AWS using Terraform
What to expect
In this role, you will:
- Design, develop and deliver a new software product for the conversion of varied healthcare datasets into the standard OMOP format
- Provide technical leadership around the use of Apache Spark and Scala
- Work with the team and scrum master to adopt and embrace the scrum methodology
- Be comfortable working in front-end areas, utilising TypeScript and the React ecosystem
- Work with modern infrastructure tooling such as Kubernetes and Terraform and cloud environments such as AWS
- Create and maintain software development documentation
- Support software implementations, acting as a product expert for users
- Support resolution of production issues
- Be expected to lead architecture and technical decisions alongside other senior developers.
Our ideal candidate will be / have
- Considerable experience working with Apache Spark
- Experience working with microservice architectures
- Strong functional programming skills
- A desire to continuously learn new tools and technologies
- Enthusiastic technical leadership skills
- Strong communication skills
- Desire and ability to mentor more junior members of the team
- Minimal travel expected to other IQVIA offices (London, East Coast US) or to attend conferences
Those who join us become part of a recognized global leader still willing to challenge the status quo to improve patient care. In RWS, you will have access to the most cutting-edge technology, the largest data sets, the best analytics tools and, in our opinion, some of the finest minds in the Healthcare industry.
You can drive your career at IQVIA and choose the path that best defines your development and success. With exposure across diverse geographies, capabilities, and vast therapeutic and information and technology areas, you can seek opportunities to change and grow without boundaries.
At IQVIA, we believe in pushing the boundaries of human science and data science to make the biggest impact possible - to help our customers create a healthier world. The advanced analytics, technology solutions and contract research services we provide to the life sciences industry are made possible by our 67,000+ employees around the world who apply their insight, curiosity and intellectual courage every step of the way. Learn more at jobs.iqvia.com .
At IQVIA, we have a vision. Where every healthcare decision is based on evidence. Where data science and human science come together to improve global health. Where new and creative solutions aren't just possible - they are expected.
Thank you for your interest in growing your career with us. It takes insight, curiosity, and intellectual courage to transform healthcare. The 56,000+ employees of the IQVIA family of companies, including Q2 Solutions, are reimagining a world without the consequences of disease. We are brave minds bringing powerful ideas to reality. At IQVIA, you can truly make an impact in an environment where you're supported to succeed.