To our wonderful friends and followers around the world, Jagex is not pausing its search for the most talented people to join its ranks. We’re a successful, robust and growing business, after all.
In light of the current situation concerning coronavirus, we have already made changes to the way we recruit, and of course are mindful of following all necessary processes to ensure the safety of our staff and anyone we might come into contact with.
Jagex has switched to working almost entirely remotely, and in line with that our recruitment and selection process has moved to an entirely remote one with video calls being the preferred method of interview.
Our hiring managers are engaged, we are well-prepared and we sincerely look forward to talking to you soon. Our team of expert recruiters will be in touch with you to talk you through the process and changes and what to expect.
So, don’t delay, get that application in today!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
As the Senior Director of Design, you will drive the vision and strategy of design across the company and promote best design and design related practice in all areas. You will represent and champion the quality and position of design and challenge new ways of thinking from individuals and teams.
The role is multifaceted requiring expertise to guide, mentor and coach both teams and individuals in numerous areas of design including game design, technical design, narrative design, system design, monetisation and UX.
You are responsible for fostering a design community by stimulating and inspiring passion for the craft at all levels. You will be the voice of design at a senior management level representing the craft to exec and be part of a studio leadership team that drives change cross functionally.
Developing others is key to this role, you will lead design training initiatives and by leveraging your extensive industry network seek opportunities for the studios teams to learn and grow. By always striving for excellence you keep Jagex up to date and future proof with the latest international design trends and theories.
It is expected you will be the public face of Jagex’s design vision and mission, reaching out to the industry and wider community to promote Jagex.
* Challenge and raise the design skill level of current staff * Identify and mentor top talent within the studio to wider roles and greater responsibility * Guide the design staffing & development of multiple projects and pipelines * Develop and actively maintain clear and concise design career tracks and job descriptions * Use industry networks to spot, attract and drive talent into Jagex
* Continuously review and improve processes and pipelines * Identify areas of improvements, establish and refine a vision, and work directly with game teams to implement * Guide the design staffing & development of multiple projects and pipelines * Define design requirements for greenlight and gateway milestone processes
* Accountable for the continued improvement of our design process, and charged with pushing the studio forward into new design thinking and practices * Stay current on design and UX theories and trends, recommend new tools & techniques * Perform technical due diligence on potential 3rd party publishing partners * Grow our creative community and define opportunities for innovation
* Expert knowledge of end to end game development, from pitch and concept to full production and live games * Capable of building studio level design strategies and plans. * Multiple projects shipped in a Director/Lead Design role * Experience building game teams & mentoring design leaders and managers * In depth knowledge of online games * Expert knowledge of game design and UX production, theories, processes, timelines, tools and methodologies * Familiar with Agile / Scrum development framework * Excellent communication skills, written and oral * BONUS: MMO game development experience
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.