Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Project Quantity Surveyor to join our Balvac Projects team to work in North West.
To ensure commercial & contractual control and co-ordination of the efforts of all parties involved in the execution of a specified project or range of projects from start to finish.
Balvac (GBP50Mill business with around 40 contracts/year), part of the Balfour Beatty Group, is a leading specialist in repair, strengthening, refurbishment and protection of all types of buildings and heritage and civil structures across the UK.
We undertake works to all types of road and rail infrastructure, bridges, tunnels, highways and underpasses. Our work is carried out under framework agreements and individual contracts across the UK.
What you'll be doing
As a Project Quantity Surveyor, your main responsibilities are as follows:
- Ensure all duties are carried out in accordance with standard company HSE procedures and work instructions
- In conjunction with the relevant Project Management team member(s), be accountable for the profitability of the project(s), and develop an appropriate commercial strategy for the project(s) to ensure delivery of required margins
- Contribute to the management and maintenance of a contract cost reporting system ensuring all financial information is managed and up-to-date and tracked with budget/tender allowances, commitments and deviations highlighted and managed
- With other members of the team, produce and provide accurate forecasts of project cost to completion and final value
- Continually monitor projected costs to completion in line with budget
- Ensure that necessary interface information between customers, sub-contractors and other departments is provided in a timely manner
- Monitor cash flow and valuation plan, ensuring applications are made correctly and in a timely manner
- Ensure contract variations are identified, valued and turned into agreed variation orders with the customer in a timely manner
- Assist in ensuring effective records are maintained to support claims and that applications for payment for variations are issued in a timely manner
- Manage the subcontract tender process, including the selection of sub-contractors and provision of all relevant contract and schedule documentation
- Ensure that subcontracts are placed in an appropriate manner to step down appropriate responsibilities from the Main Contract
- Ensure that each sub-contractors account is managed strictly in accordance with their terms and conditions
- Ensure that any insurance claims are notified in accordance with CSUK requirements and that appropriate data is compiled for insurance claims
- Assist the Project Management team member(s) in arranging and undertaking project reviews and issue of associated reports
- Provide accurate monthly reporting of cost and value on the project(s) in line with the Companys reporting process
- Ensure compliance with BMS and Group Minimum Commercial Expectations
- Where appropriate and where used on the specified project, utilise BIM to support progress monitoring, provide commercial reporting and incorporate information to support change management, variations orders and encourage all sub-contractors/ supply chain members to integrate their work into BIM
- Support the delivery of the CSUK Sustainability 2020 roadmap
Who we're looking for
The following qualities and experience are essential:
- Sound working knowledge of construction and contract law and various forms of Conditions of Contract
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of tendering and procurement processes
- Knowledge of construction techniques on particular projects
- Ability to apply the knowledge and principles of commercial management to construction projects
- Working knowledge of basic plant, equipment and materials
- Knowledge and understanding of sub-contracting principles, together with the ability to draft and administer sub contracts
- Ability to implement procedures to quantify and cost construction works, including the use of appropriate standard methods of measurement
- Understanding of the requirements to provide and obtain Insurance, Bonds and Warranties
- Proficiency in administration, writing, numeracy, IT and MS Office
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
- Enthusiasm and results focus, together with an ability to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Effective negotiation skills - both with internal and external customers
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Balvac offers a range of services across the construction sector, from piled foundations to ground improvement, testing and analysis. We have established our reputation through our integrated design approach to every project, from the small to the very large.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists