We are currently seeking a Stations Design Director
to lead the development of new station and major station upgrade projects in terms of station appearance, operation, and design integration. The successful candidate should also have significant Bid leadership experience and established client relationships. About Arcadis:
At Arcadis, we never lose sight of what's most important. Because look beyond our projects and programmes and you'll see it's about human stories. From remaking public spaces that bring people together, to making cities easier to navigate, we're focused on making an impact where it matters most - and improving quality of life
It's a big challenge. And why we need people committed to bringing their best, who deliver on their promises. People who value different perspectives, build sustainable relationships, and dare to shape the future. People who seize the experiences available to transform their world - and the world around them.
It's a shared goal amongst 27,000 Arcadians. And one we can only achieve by working together and applying our skills and expertise across design, consultancy, engineering, project, and management services. It's how we'll find solutions to our clients' most complex challenges. And how we'll deliver exceptional results, today and tomorrow.
The railway sector is one of our core markets, a position it has held throughout our history. We pride ourselves on delivering new and exciting resolutions for rail infrastructure design and construction schemes. About The Team:
The Rail business is working on many of the major UK railway programmes including HS2, Crossrail, Transpennine Route Upgrade as well as many regionally significant schemes for clients including Asset owners such as Network Rail, TfL, Nexus, Local Authorities and Combined Authorities, Contracts and Developers. Job Summary:
Reporting to the Business Director Rail North East, who also leads the UK Stations Hub, our virtual Stations team, the role comprises the development of station designs from early feasibility through to construction support and hand back. We would expect the successful candidate to work with project teams comprising Architect partners and our multi-disciplinary engineering teams to produce market leading station designs.
A key part of the role would be the technical leadership of tenders and also the identification of future station opportunities to grow Arcadis' stations portfolio nationally.
The role could be based in any of Arcadis' UK Rail offices (York, Warrington, Birmingham, Glasgow, Cardiff, Bristol, London or Croydon). They would have the ability to travel throughout the UK as the role would contribute to the leadership of station projects nationwide. Naturally in the Post Covid-19 world we envisage and support our employees to adopt a mix of office based and home-based working but the successful candidate should expect to be in our office for a minimum of 5 days a month. Role Responsibilities:
The main function of this role is to utilise the resource of the Arcadis Stations Hub (virtual UK team), the wider Arcadis business and an established supply chain to win and deliver major station projects on programmes of work such as HS2, NPR, Network Rail, Contractors and Developers. Management:
- Provide Line Management duties to the existing team members and develop individuals through mentoring
- Develop the UK Station Hub team capabilities through recruitment (internal and external) and mentoring
Prospect Pipeline - Market Awareness:
- Plan & Manage the successful delivery of designated Station Projects
- Provide technical leadership to station project teams
- Work collaboratively with the Client, the project team, and Project Director to lead design development of major station projects
- Assess the competence of proposed project team members
- Fulfil Design Manager, station technical lead roles and project director roles on projects
- You will work in collaboration with other design disciplines in Common Data Environments and acquire the knowledge and practical skills through on-the-job learning and develop industry knowledge though affiliations and continuing education
- Identify targets for growing project portfolio in conjunction with management team and review progress regularly with the management team.
- Coordinate Pipeline & Prospects in coordination with our Market to Opportunity and Pursuits to Win Director.
- Attend client business development events and meetings
- Assist in the leadership of proposal production - EoI, PQQ and Tenders
- Develop & maintain productive and trusted relationships with clients
- Invite client feedback at every opportunity and feedback to business
- Develop and manage our Station Architect Partner capabilities and agree project strategy in relation to partnering and building a winning team
- Identify and develop a virtual team of specialists from both internal and external resource to develop stations projects
- Establish Key contact relationships with designated leads from each of the contributing Arcadis disciplines, informing on pipeline and where skills may need to be strengthened
- In conjunction with the UK Stations Hub develop a trusted supply chain of sub-consultants where in-house expertise does not exist
- Work with our Netherlands based Stations Centre of Excellence to develop and implement global best practice in stations design
At Arcadis, you'll have the opportunity to build the career that's right for you. Because each Arcadian has their own motivations, their own career goals. And, as a 'people first' business, it's why we'll take the time to listen, to understand what you want from your time here, and provide the support you need to achieve your ambitions.
Wherever you join us, you can look forward to a competitive reward package that includes an attractive starting salary, opportunities for career development and being part of a sociable community. We have a performance-related bonus scheme and an employee recognition scheme. Other benefits include membership fees to join your relevant professional body, employer contribution pension scheme, flexible working and a flexible holiday scheme.
We believe that by working together diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative ideas. Equality, diversity, and inclusion is at the heart of how we improve quality of life and we work closely with our people across six ED&I Workstreams: Age, Disability, Faith, Gender, LGBT+ and Race. A diverse and skilled workforce is essential to our success.
Qualifications Desired Skills/ Experience:
Advantageous Skills /Experience:
- Knowledgeof H&S legislation, CDM requirements, Safe by Design principles and Railwaysafety to an appropriate level for this stage of work.
- Goodinterpersonal & communication skills and aligning to the corporate
- Goodknowledge and understanding of the requirements necessary to develop andprogress projects through the early stages of the lifecycle - GRIP and RIBAthough to detailed design and construction phases
- Demonstrableexperience of leading the design development of major station projects
- TechnicalKnowledge to be able to challenge project teams on outputs/deliverables andalso where necessary, client to ensure focus is maintained on defined scope orwhere scope needs to be modified, renegotiate and agree.
- Demonstrableexperience of operating in senior project roles
- Goodunderstanding of fee costs to deliver projects at the various early stages
- GoodReport production skills
- Degreeor equivalent in a relevant discipline
- Charteredmembership of a relevant professional body is essential.
- Experience ofworking in and leading multidisciplinary design teams.
- Design & Build experience
- An Architecturalbackground including the development of station designs would be advantageous