Potter Clarkson is currently recruiting for a talented and ambitious IP Lawyer to join the London office of our fast growing cross-office team, which currently comprises of 14 IP Lawyers, and support staff.
We are one of the largest full-service intellectual property practices in Europe. We have offices in the UK and continental Europe with over 73 patent, trade mark and IP professionals and around 120 paralegals and support staff working together in our Nottingham, London, Copenhagen, Aarhus and Stockholm offices. Potter Clarkson prides itself on state-of-the-art IT infrastructure, video conferencing and meeting room facilities and collectively we have great legal, scientific and commercial strength.
We have IP solicitors working alongside our attorneys enabling us to be a full-service IP firm. Award winning, the firm is consistently ranked in the top tier of major legal guides, such as Legal 500 and MIP. Unlike most UK patent and trade mark firms, we also hold three independent ISO accreditations which show the high level of service provision, information security and environmental awareness that we have. We therefore deliver proven expertise with a top tier service too, enabling clients to benefit commercially from their IP investment. Potter Clarkson acts for many leading household names as well as SMEs and universities.
The formula for our success is simple. We recruit the very best people and invest heavily in their training and personal development to produce outstanding patent and trade mark professionals. The organisation and infrastructure of the firm and its dedicated support staff equip our experts with all they need to apply their skills efficiently and deliver exceptional service to clients.
We offer a fun, friendly and collegiate work environment, and the opportunity to be involved in interesting and complex IP work for blue chip clients.
- IP litigation & IP transactions (such as licensing, assignments and franchising);
- Advice on structuring IP ownership;
- Collaboration agreements (both academic and private sector) and joint ventures;
- Intellectual property audits and consultancy;
- Portfolio management;
- Support for broader transactions and due diligence;
- Strategic development of the London Litigation & Licensing Team;
- Business development and in particular development of key sectors;
- Profile raising for the Litigation & Licensing Team, particularly in the London market.
- The candidate must be an IP specialist solicitor, but with a wider knowledge & experience of advising on ancillary issues;
- Currently a partner at their present firm (but ideally 2-4 years at that level; senior associates at a top tier firm who can demonstrate that they have been working at partner level for at least 4 years may also apply);
- At least 8 years PQE (there is no upper limit for the level of PQE and more senior candidates may apply, but ideally under 12 years PQE);
- Ideally, significant contentious and non-contentious experience and specialism;
- Ideally, experience advising on tech-focussed patent work, and aptitude for highly technical work, but with ability to advise on soft IP matters;
- Currently or recently working for a reputable (ideally ‘top tier’) firm and as part of a high-performing team;
- Extensive experience of dealing with complex matters for blue chip / top-tier clients;
- Demonstrable leadership experience and credentials, including effective management of teams, and ability to work in teams, but willingness to understand and fit into wider firm strategy for growth;
- Must be extremely and demonstrably commercial and entrepreneurial;
- Must be driven, well networked and capable of being self-sufficient;
- Ideally (but not essentially) will have sector specialism in life sciences and/or electronics and/or telecoms and/or media law;
- Must be willing and able to produce a detailed business plan for the team, showing ROI for new team over 3 years, leading to a £750K+ CVI team income in the first full year, and £2m+ in Year 3, at a standard 33% gross profit margin;
- Must have a willingness to grow - and clear vision for growing – London team over the long-term;
- Post-graduate qualification in IP law & exceptional technical skills;
- Ideally a science background of some form (though not essential);
- Exceptional academics.
- A competitive market leading salary + bonus;
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays;
- A generous company pension scheme;
- Healthcare package;
- Flexible working policy;
- Birthday Leave;
- Travel loan scheme;
- Purchase of extra holiday scheme;
- Regular company away days & social events;
- No capital investment to join at Partnership level;
- Flexible working;
- Opportunity to progress to Membership within a few years if successful.
Candidate Privacy Notice