Leading civil engineering contractor in the Midlands, who specialise in major residential groundworks packages, are looking for 2x Trainee / Assistant QSs for their Northampton and Oxford offices.
An excellent opportunity for Quantity Surveyors to gain invaluable experience and to progress their career with a highly reputable construction company, within a high standards and high rewards environment. They are looking for either an Assistant Quantity Surveyor or a Quantity Surveyor to join the Oxford team.
You will assist with and work towards management of all costs relating to projects. Learn the process from initial inquiry and estimate through to when the build is in progress and on through to final costs. Learn how to ensure that costs are minimised and enhance value for money, whilst ensuring that the Company is achieving required standards and quality. You will learn how to understand and adhere to statutory building regulations. Assist the Company to realise its Mission Statement and values in particular to provide a safe environment and equipment on our sites and expect everyone to stay safe.
* Understand the implications of health and safety regulations to the Company sites
* Understand the principles of safety on site and ensure that any concerns are addressed immediately with the support of the safety team, commercial team and/ or Directors as appropriate
* Provide administrative assistance to the commercial team
* Demonstrate ability to work independently and efficiently
* Assist with the preparation of tender and contract documents
* Build relationships and understand client's and their requirements
* Apply value management and cost control
* Keep track of variations
* Understand the Company procurement function and its interaction with site and impact on overall job cost and performance
* Prepare and analyse costings for tenders
* Assist with identification of commercial risks and develop responses/ actions to them
* Assist with subcontract procurement/ allocation of work
* Assist with valuation of completed work and arrange payments
* Build an awareness of the different building contracts in current use applicable to the Company
* Undertake personal on-going development
* Other duties as reasonably required from time to time
* Minimum 3 A-Levels at Grade B and above or equivalent BTEC
* Competent experience of / training in a quantity surveying or commercial background.
* Proficient computer skills particularly in excel
* General reasoning ability and the ability to take on new concepts quickly and efficiently
* Possess good skill with numbers and strong mathematical ability
* Ability to gather and analyse information skillfully
* High level of accuracy and attention to detail
* Must hold a Full UK Driving license
* Sites are located throughout the country, must be able to respond to company requirements to attend sites