Come and work with us the "TT Way" which means we do the right thing, bring out the best in each other, achieve more together, champion expertise and get the job done...well! With approximately 4800 colleagues we operate from 27 locations around the world. Building the expertise of our people is critical to the future success of our organisation.
TT Electronics is a global provider of engineered electronics. We collaborate with customers in the transportation, industrial, medical, and aerospace and defence markets, providing them with engineering expertise and support through a global network of specialists and world class facilities. As a responsible employer we encourage all our people to "give something back" by supporting the local communities in which we operate.
In Rogerstone, Newport, South Wales we specialise in low volume, high mix electronics. Our team of employees is part of the Global Manufacturing Solutions division and delivers end to end through life tailored business solutions to world leading manufacturing partners.
The SMT Engineer is responsible for providing all aspects of SMT engineering support in the day to day manufacturing environment in order to meet the strategic goals and objectives of the company. He or she will be expected to lead and drive engineering improvement projects within the department to meet and support the general business improvement plans.
This role is shift based, either working mornings (6am - 2.30pm) or afternoons (2.30pm - 11pm) and is eligible for pre-authorised overtime.
Shift allowances are currently 20% Mornings, 22½% Afternoons and 33?% Nights. Overtime rates are T½ Monday to Saturday and T2 on a Sunday.
- Ensure and oversee that all departmental machines are efficiently changed-over and set-up for the scheduled products in line with procedures and production plans.
- Drive new product introduction during the shift and report any non-conformities or improvements. He or she will be expected to take the Product information and data which will be supplied, and produce a satisfactory first-article customer PCB for measurement and evaluation, subject to volume manufacture.
- Responsible for identifying yield improvement projects and taking appropriate action to drive and achieve these improvements. He or she will be expected to use manufacturing process tools such as Six-Sigma and lean manufacturing to support these improvement projects in line with the process Control parameters set-up at each of the SMT manufacturing lines.
- Diagnose and repair all departmental equipment down to PCB level and report findings in a concise and accurate manner. A good understanding of electrical drawings, schematics and engineering drawings is expected, together with the general use of multi-meters, hand power tools and measuring equipment.
- Proficiency in the use of a PC with Microsoft Office software. Also the responsibility for supporting and using the many equipment manufacturers' software and cad systems in the department.
- Undertaking our planned maintenance schedule to the specified procedure in a timely and organised fashion
- The SMT Engineer will be expected to provide reports on spares usage during Maintenance periods or machine breakdowns to maintain spare-part stock levels and to highlight particular areas of concern or areas for machine improvement
- Supervise and monitor any subordinates which may or may not be working on the same shift. He or she will also be expected from time to time to provide first line engineering training to any Junior Engineers, Technicians and Technical Operators which he or she will come into contact.
- Use and apply all SMT machine performance criteria; this could include component attrition, nozzle data, feeder data and vision error information and use this information to drive improvements within the machine performance.
- Communicate at all levels within the organisation and attendance of Project, Quality and customer meetings will be expected. Also he or she will take responsibility for direct contact with Machine or Process suppliers in any absence of the day-shift Engineering team.
- Meeting all factory health and safety requirements
- Ensuring compliance with all company codes of conduct
This list of duties & responsibilities is not intended to be an exhaustive list of tasks performed. Other associated tasks are likely to be performed as direct by the relevant Manager.
The ideal candidate for this role will demonstrate:
- Multi skilled - with experience in surface mount high volume manufacturing environment
- Flexible - ability to undertake general equipment repairs & maintenance as required
- Self starting & highly motivated - impeccable time & attendance and a 'can do' attitude
- High safety standards - demonstrable by examples - ie; knowledge of risk & method statements, safe systems of work etc
- PC skills - must be highly proficient
- Good communication skills - Engineering are a service provider and our internal customer interface is critical, thus the need to 'always be professional'
- Knows and interprets the mechanical and electronic manuals and diagrams of the production equipment.
- Detects together with the Senior SMT Engineer, opportunities for improvements in the production equipment, and monitors the development of these projects.
- Drives the preparation of the preventive and predictive maintenance programs of the Engineering team in coordination with the Senior SMT Engineer.
- Make adjustments (set-ups) in the machinery and equipment necessary for the development of the production process.
- Carry out corrective maintenance or repair on the equipment and machinery required by the production areas.
- Carry out preventive maintenance services on equipment, according to the frequencies and time indicated in the maintenance orders