Description Full Time, Permanent Salary: £45,000 - £57,230 *Amazing opportunity to Architect a National Library*
Would you like to influence the strategic direction of Technology within a whole organisation?
Would you like to be part of something you can be proud of whilst being looked after in the Public Sector?
Maybe you would like to take the next step in your career to lead, build and shape a team and have more responsibility?
The British Library is looking for a Lead Solution Architect who can provide solutions for a diverse range of business problems.
Currently we are involved in creating the next generation digital library, supporting the delivery of a new HR/Payroll SaaS solution, understanding how a single view of our customer could be created, looking at cloud platforms and how they can be used by an institution that will be around for centuries to come.
We will take care of you with:
25 days annual leave, plus 2.5 privilege days (and Bank Holidays on top!)
Employers Pension Contribution of 26.6% - 30.3%. For example, if you contribute £2452 pa into your Civil Service Pension, the British Library will contribute £12,195 pa.
Free access to Training Courses to upskill yourself
Free on-site parking in a Countryside location (no city commutes!)
- Work with all the 'Heads of' within Technology ensure that all potential current and future solution architecture engagements are identified and prioritised.
- Work closely with the Lead Business Analyst to ensure that architecture is engaged early on where appropriate in idea exploration and project initiation.
- Develop and own the strategy and architecture for parts of the Library business areas.
- Working within the wider business, establish and maintain successful relationships with key stakeholders including C-level stakeholders.
- To manage the portfolio of architectural engagements undertaken by their team.
- Ensure all projects within the domain scope are supported and architected to the target architecture.
- Understand and digest business requirements and creatively provide solutions to problems. Ensure these solutions fit with the target state.
- Consult and represent the Library with high profile technology providers bringing their expertise into the Library and target solutions to problems.
- Demonstrable experience in working with/managing a wide variety of external stakeholders, at all levels.
- Demonstrable knowledge and application of system thinking within projects.
- In depth knowledge and use of architectural patterns in solution design.
- Significant experience in working with the business to elucidate requirements and translating them into suitable architectural solutions.
- Evidence of contributing to the development of a Technology strategy and the generation of a "to-be" architecture.
- Strong knowledge of various integration approaches such as micro services, messaging, queuing, API patterns, etc.
As one of the world's great libraries, our duty is to preserve the nation's intellectual memory for the future and make it available to all for research, inspiration and enjoyment. At present we have well over 170 million items, in most known languages, with three million new items added every year. We have manuscripts, maps, newspapers, magazines, prints and drawings, music scores, and patents. We make our collections and programmes available to all. We operate the world's largest document delivery service providing millions of items a year to customers all over the world. What matters to us is that we preserve the national memory and enable knowledge to be created both now and in the future by anyone, anywhere.
In return we offer a competitive salary and a number of excellent benefits. Our pension scheme is one of the most valuable benefits we offer, as our staff can become members of the Alpha Pension Scheme where the Library contributes a minimum of 20.6% (this may be higher dependant on grade. Another significant benefit the Library provides is the provision of a flexible working hours scheme which could allow you to work your hours flexibly over the week and to take up to 5 days flexi leave in a 3 month period. This is on top of 25 days holiday from entry and public and privilege holidays. For further information and to apply, please visit www.bl.uk/careers quoting vacancy ref: 03424 Closing date: 11 October 2020 Interview date: TBC
Disability Confident We are a Disability Confident employer, and make a commitment to recruit and support disabled people. We guarantee an interview for disabled candidates who meet the minimum (essential) requirements for a vacancy.
In order to apply for this vacancy, you must be able to supply the required answers to the following questions:
- Do you currently have the right to work in the United Kingdom
To apply to this vacancy click the ‘apply’ button which will direct you to the British Library recruitment system. Then candidates need to apply by completing an application form on the in the British Library recruitment website