Join the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) and have a future that matters: Be proud; Be challenged; Be unique.
DIO is passionate about ensuring that we are a top performing organisation and a great place to work. We host a diverse range of talent where everyone feels valued and supported enabling our people to flourish, bring greater creativity and innovation to achieve higher organisational performance. We are committed to being an equal opportunities employer and creating a culture where everyone can bring their whole self to work and individuality is truly appreciated.
We promote and support a range of flexible working patterns enabling staff to balance home and work responsibilities.
This culture of inclusion is underpinned by our 6 staff networks covering Disability, Faith and Belief, Gender Equality, LGBTQI+, Race, Social Mobility and 3 networks dealing with employee wellbeing and support: Speak Safe Volunteers, Mental Health First Aiders and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Advisers.
Our staff, future and current will be guided by the 4 Cs and we encourage you to be curious
and continuously strive for improvement, collaborative
in an inclusive culture, bold and resilient and committed
to Defence, empowered and able to challenge
so you can play a key part in shaping the direction of our organisation.
DIO commits to offer its employees the following experience:
• Meaningful, purposeful work
• The ability to learn and grow
• The right opportunities and resources
• To care about your wellbeing
• To feel valued and included
The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) is the estate expert for Defence, supporting the armed forces to enable military capability by planning, building, maintaining, and servicing infrastructure.
Our responsibilities include:
• Plan and deliver major capital projects and lifecycle refurbishment
• Provide utilities services
• Manage soft facilities management (i.e. cleaning and catering)
• Provide a safe place to train
• Allocate Service Families Accommodation
• Procure and manage routine maintenance and reactive repair
• Provide a central register of asset information to advise infrastructure planning
• Act as steward of the Defence estate
• Provide the unarmed guarding service
We employ approximately 4,900 staff from a very diverse range of professions, and we work across the world; in Germany, Cyprus and the Falkland Islands, Norway, Poland, Kenya, Belize, Nepal and Oman.
You can view our YouTube video to see more about our work The Challenge
This is an exciting opportunity for a talented and enthusiastic individual. The Estate Facility Manager (EFM) is a key customer focused role within the DIO Scotland & Northern Ireland (SNI) defined delivery Region.
The successful candidate will fulfil a role that is both high profile and challenging and provides a valuable opportunity for the post holder to enhance their skills in managing and overseeing a contractor delivered facilities management service. The role will also provide the successful applicant with a significant sense of achievement in delivering a wide range of services to the sites overseen and managed by the team through working collaboratively with DIO colleagues, the Industry Partner and your customers.
In the context of your day-to-day operational challenges, you will be responsible for the engagement and stakeholder management of our customer base and will act as the DIO point of contact for those sites and projects within your area of responsibility.
The customer has a large and complex infrastructure requirement which entails close management of deliverability of multifaceted projects requiring careful management of the customer and contractor interface. You will assist to bring their requirements to fruition.Main Responsibilities
The EFM will be required to develop and maintain effective relationships and regular communications with site users and stakeholders as appropriate to include the Site Infrastructure Monthly Meeting (SIMM), Weekly Site Meeting and all other contracted meetings, ensuring a high level of interaction and support.
Act as the DIO Point of Contact for all allocated Areas of Responsibility and proactively address all stakeholders (both Internal and External to DIO) concerns and issues, raised formally or informally, ensuring that Line Management is kept informed of emerging issues.
Act as DIO Point of Contact for delivery of delegated Additional Works Services and projects within Area of Responsibility, from Statement of Need to completion, working closely with the Industry Partners on the provision of the contracted services including the delivery of the Hard FM, Additional Works Services and additions to the Soft FM Site Information Pack (SIP) through the Request for Contract Action (RCA) process.
Provide Programme related information and reports to the Senior Estate Facility Manager (SEFM) and Line Management as required. Review and monitor progress of works against projected in year delivery, highlighting any contracted programme issues using the respective Early Warning, Defect and Risk Management process. Work closely with the SEFM and Industry Partners to develop strategies to deal with programme issues and agree corrective actions and improvement plans, closely monitor developments on site, report progress and escalate as appropriate.
Carry out the Delegated duties and responsibilities on behalf of the SEFM, working closely with the Independent Auditors on the preselected Hard FM works orders, to include Work in Progress, Retrospective, PPM, Grounds Maintenance and Asset File Checks. Undertake the regular review of the Soft FM contract performance against agreed standards ensuring shortcomings are recorded. Quickly address matters falling short of the contracted standards and escalate any concerns that cannot be mitigated at a local level. Regularly attend Contract and Progress meetings to discuss contract performance. Raise any issues or concerns and identify opportunities for improvement, act as a delegated DIO Focal Point, working closely with the Industry Partners to overcome any problems that can be resolved locally.
Apply delegated Financial Authority to the Infrastructure Management System (IMS) process, ensuring that works are only authorised in accordance with the Business Rules and within Financial Delegations or in accordance with the IMS SOP’s and Technical Scrutiny Document. Provide reports and Forecasts of Outturn to the SEFM on delegated programme tasks. Ensure Commercial approvals and Funding is authorised through the Request for Contract Action process prior to the provision of additional services under the Soft FM contract. Ensure Financial Propriety for all T&S transactions are maintained, both for self and those that you have line management responsibilities for, to include record keeping and audit requirements.
Identify relevant development opportunities, participate fully in the exchange of knowledge and experience with others, establishing a culture of Learning from Experience. Develop the skills and knowledge necessary to fully implement new processes and procedures to facilitate an effective contribution to the business outputs. Complete all mandated training within the specified timeframe, all in accordance with respective MOD and DIO Skills frameworks. Promote and engage fully in collaborative working relationships within DIO, with Industry Partners, other Regional Delivery areas and wider DIO Stakeholders. Manage and report programme and business risks in Area of Responsibility including treatment and escalation where appropriate.
Desirable Experience & Skills
• Membership of Professional Body associated with the Construction / Engineering or Facilities Management Industry.
• A third level qualification in a Construction or Engineering related discipline.Full UK Driving License
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Delivering at Pace
- Communicating and Influencing
We only ask for evidence of these behaviours on your application form:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Communicating and Influencing
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Government Property Profession Competence Framework
We enable our people to work at the right place, with the right people, at the right time.
We believe that if we look after our people they will be passionate about delivering great things for our customers.
We understand the importance of life outside of work and our industry leading flexible working practices, digital technology and modern workspaces will give you the opportunity to enjoy a healthy work-life balance.
Some of the many benefits you will receive:
• Highly competitive Pension Scheme
• Flexi-time scheme
• Alternative working practices such as working from home
• 25 days annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years’ service
• Ability to roll over up to 10 days annual leave per year
• In addition to 8 public holidays per year you will also receive leave for HM The Queen’s birthday
• Minimum of 15 Days Special Leave in a rolling 12-month period to for volunteer military or emergency service reserve commitments
• Special Paid Leave for volunteering up to 6 days a year
• Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave
• Employee Assistance Programme to support your wellbeing
• Most sites have good travel links with free car parking; many also have other facilities such as a Sports & Social Club, Gym and / or site shops
Learning & Development
• Professional and Personal Development of skills
• Access to thousands of training courses through Civil Service Learning, some free or paid by DIO
• Ability to obtain industry recognised qualifications supported by DIO
The post advertised is for 37 hours net, however the Ministry of Defence offers Flexible working.
This post does not offer any assistance with relocation allowances.
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.Please ensure that at the application and interview stages of the campaign you review the Success Profiles Framework to assist you in the demonstration of your skills and experience.
Your suitability for the role will be assessed using the Success Profile elements that have been chosen for this campaign. Each element will be scored accordingly, and the successful candidate will be appointed on merit.
Applications will be sifted on all Behaviours, but in the event of a significant number of applications, an initial sift will be conducted on Leadership and Managing a Quality Service Behaviours.
In this instance the remaining elements will be tested at interview.
you will be assessed against the following:
• Managing a Quality Service
• Communicating and Influencing
• CV: Job History
• Full Qualification details
• Previous Skills
In no more than 250 words, please explain how you meet the following:
1. Experience of Managing or Overseeing a Contracted infrastructure related Service, this could be Managing Projects, providing or assuring Planned Preventative Maintenance, provision of Estate or Infrastructure Planning, or Estate / Facilities Management Activity Assurance.
2. Experience of working in a customer facing role.
3. Experience of Stakeholder engagement and building working relationships.
4. Professional / Technical Expertise.
5. Understanding and Complying with Statutory, Regulatory & Professional requirements.
Full UK Driving License
Duty travel between estates is required and public transport is not available.
Technical Functional Framework / Competency
Government Property Profession Competence Framework
• Professional / Technical Expertise - Foundation Practitioner Level
• Understanding and Complying and Statutory, Regulatory & Professional requirements - Foundation Practitioner Level
you will be assessed against the above along with the following:
• Delivering at Pace
Application sifting is scheduled to take place on week commencing 19/10/20.
Interviews will take place at DIO offices, Building 18, Thiepval Barracks or Via Skype on W/C 02/11/20. A minimum of 2 full working days’ notice will be provided for interviews. We endeavour to stick to these dates, but these are subject to change around business needs.
To assist with your application please find attached below:
1. Functional Framework- https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/government-property-profession-competencyframework
For help and support with your application check out our
Civil Service Careers Homepage and the How to apply section
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.Open to UK, Commonwealth and European Economic Area (EEA) and certain non EEA nationals. Further information on whether you are able to apply is available here.The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.For jobs based in Northern Ireland, applications are welcome from all sectors of the community, but members from the Roman Catholic community are particularly welcomed, as this group is currently underrepresented in our workforce.