What's involved with this role: A Basic DBS is required.
The Pollution Enforcement Officer is responsible for investigating and enforcing legislation in relation to noise, air pollution at construction sites, “statutory nuisances” including commercial premises. To act as a responsible authority under the Licensing Act. Key responsibilities:
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for. “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Investigate service demands relating to construction site noise, air pollution, smell, and bonfires and take appropriate action
- Act as lead officer in the preparation of prosecution cases
- Assist other agencies such as the Housing Department and Housing Associations when they apply in the Courts for Possession orders
- Instruct external contractor and supervise works in default
- Seize sound equipment from persistent noise offenders
- Responsible for the scrutiny and commenting on licence applications and variations from pubs and clubs
- Organise and administer acceptable behaviour agreements
- Take part in national noise week and other promotions and displays using imaginative and innovative ideas
- Take part in the Council’s 24 hour emergency and party patrol service.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Driving Licence and own transport to travel between sites both at daytime and at night.
- Basic DBS Disclosure Check required - please give details if you have one already in place. Taking out a basic check is likely to be required as a precondition to starting the assignment.
- ***Qualification details and all other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
- Knowledge & Experience:
- Enforcement experience in dealing with the general public.
- Thorough understanding on the legislation relating to pollution enforcement especially "Statutory nuisance".
- A full understanding of the legislation and government guidelines in relation to the regulation of construction and demolition sites.
- Knowledge in the use of precision sound reading equipment and general principles of acoustics.
- Full understanding of the legislation relating to the enforcement of air quality.
- Knowledge and understanding of the council's Licensing procedures.
- An understanding of pollution and noise control techniques
- Experience in dealing with dangerous aggressive behaviour and to be able to recognise a potential situation and be able to take appropriate action diffuse such a situation.
- Ability to express information, thoughts and ideas fluently and concisely in both spoken and written form to a variety of audiences including children and parents and assess the needs of the situation and tailor communication accordingly.
- Ability to deal with both perpetrators and offenders including children in a firm and decisive but fair manner.
- Ability to form and maintain appropriate professional relationships and boundaries with children, young people and other vulnerable adults.
- Ability to work alone and take responsibility for own actions and take decisions without referring to others.
- Ability to work in a team and develop effective and supportive relationships with colleagues and be considerate towards them to help build a sense of team spirit.
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages.
- Any local authority/public sector experience.
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
If you would prefer to send a CV straight to us rather than by way of an on-line application, you are very welcome to do so via email@example.com but please quote both the job reference and job title exactly as they appear below: Job Ref: Croydon 5425 Anticipated Length of Assignment:
Unless otherwise stated (we do carry the occasional permanent vacancy) all of our roles are technically temporary, though opening assignments can be and often are, extended by clients on a longer term basis and can sometimes become permanent. Please do try to resist contacting us with requests for progress updates.
We really do read every CV sent to us. All applications will be acknowledged by a human, not a robot, provided the job remains live and provided your CV meets the “Essential Requirements” listed. Please note that we do our level best to take down ads as soon as roles have been filled. We are not in the business of harvesting CVs. Important
: We will interpret your application as being permission to submit your CV to this role (with the right to represent you) unless you advise us to the contrary.