What's involved with this role: Review, assess and enforce - COVID business Risk Assessments - Knowledge of PACE and up to date CPD from CIEH required. Likely to be a longer appointment.
To take responsibility for a high level caseload, special projects and assigned tasks in relation to a range of housing related environmental health responsibilities. Responsible for developing, implementing and enforcing policies, using specialist technical skills and knowledge to maintain and safeguard standards relating to people’s health and well-being. Main accountabilities include:
- Responsible for a high-level caseload across the range of environmental health disciplines for the Service to ensure customer satisfaction and compliance with legislation, Council and Service policies and procedures. This includes domestic nuisance, public health (inc drainage, and filthy and verminous), housing conditions/HMO inspections, harassment & illegal eviction, national assistance burials, licensing of park homes, and the provision of financial assistance to eligible clients, ensuring that Council legal, financial and audit requirements are complied with.
- Responsible for audit checking other Officers’ grant and enforcement work to ensure legal and audit requirements are met.
- Responsible for responding to requests for service, carrying out both routine & unplanned visits and inspections to ensure compliance with health and safety legislation.
- Be responsible for issuing enforcement action including preparing and issuing formal notices, statutory letters and documents when no improvement has been made.
- Be responsible for initiating legal proceeding, preparing and giving evidence in court.
- Responsible for preparing Schedules of works and specifications of varying complexity in association with both grant work and enforcement.
- Report on performance, implement improvement plans where short falls are identified in target times of work being completed.
- Ensure Health & Safety is inherent in all activities, including those of contractors, staff and consultants.
- Manage complaints and queries in accordance with the Council’s communication protocol.
- Interpret information, prepare and present reports to a variety of internal and external audiences.
- Responsible for taking the lead on monitoring and updating information systems and producing reports and statistical information as required.
- Interpret information, prepare and present reports and provide professional advice, support and reports to a variety of internal and external audiences including senior management colleagues and external partners.
- The provision of training and guidance to new recruits, students etc.
. Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for. “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Degree or equivalent qualification in Environmental Health or a related subject or evidence of in-depth experience of the key job responsibilities.
- Minimum of 12 months recent office administration experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation
- Experience of enforcement of legal standards in respect of environmental health work. Experience of collation of
- evidence in support of legal proceedings.
- Health & safety expertise
- Current CPD and enforcement experience
- Risk assesment - critical reviews
- Covid current guidance, the ability to review, advise and guide businesses but also take enforcement action if needed
- Current understanding and working knowledge of PACE and evidence handling and production
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
If you would prefer to send a CV straight to us rather than by way of an on-line application, you are very welcome to do so via firstname.lastname@example.org but please quote both the job reference and job title exactly as they appear below: Job Ref: C Bedfordshire 5149418 Anticipated Length of Assignment:
Unless otherwise stated (we do carry the occasional permanent vacancy) all of our roles are technically temporary, though opening assignments can be and often are, extended by clients on a longer term basis and can sometimes become permanent. Please do try to resist contacting us with requests for progress updates.
We really do read every CV sent to us. All applications will be acknowledged by a human, not a robot, provided the job remains live and provided your CV meets the “Essential Requirements” listed. Please note that we do our level best to take down ads as soon as roles have been filled. We are not in the business of harvesting CVs. Important
: We will interpret your application as being permission to submit your CV to this role (with the right to represent you) unless you advise us to the contrary.