Technical Authors have an understanding of all aspects of the documentation lifecycle, working closely with team members and project subject matter experts, producing the highest quality documentation to ensure that information presented to technical and non-technical team and understandable.
Technical Authors facilitate strong relationships with the following:
- Solution Architect
- Content owners
- Business analysts.
High level tasks
- Information gathering and planning – information from existing sources
- Content specification
- Content development and implementation
- Author and verify Use Case and Stories
- Production and verification of Release Notes
- Conversion of technical artefacts into non-technical consumables
- convey technical ideas, concepts and procedures in clear, concise and accurate English
- Manipulate text and images to create well-structured, documentation that is easily absorbed by the target user like solution architect, technical architect and other technical and non-technical members; e.g. the range of output formats we are looking for are Confluence page, pdf, user guides, and explanatory text and web content.
- establish correct terminology and use it consistently
- produce work that is consistent with existing content style
- plan, research, write, and edit documents from conception to delivery
- gather information by studying existing technical content, interviewing subject matter experts and sometimes interacting with the product directly
- monitor related information sources and attend appropriate project meetings to determine and communicate requirements, priorities and dependencies
- adapt written and graphical communication styles to suit different target audiences
- create or commission photographs or illustrations
- work with the product team scrutinize, proof read and edit as necessary all documentation produced, to ensure complete accuracy of content and presentation prior to distribution
- where possible, testing content with users to refine and improve so their needs are met as effectively as possible.