We are seeking an experienced Director of Hardware Engineering to define, develop and manage all aspects of the critical hardware engineering for a range of innovative end-user terminals for satellite communications. Reporting to the SVP of Engineering and working closely with peers across other engineering disciplines, the successful candidate will have a broad perspective and understanding of the design, manufacturing & lifecycle for digital, RF and mix-signal PCBs.
This role will build and lead the Hardware team to implement the designs around a number of complex PCBs that go into each of Isotropic’s products. Working closely with the Actives group who are developing the custom ICs within the system and the DSP architecture, you will own the delivery of these PCBs through early prototyping and then into manufacturing with our chosen Contract Manufacturing partners. This will require experience in both quick-turnaround prototyping & testing, but also very good understanding of PCB manufacturing and supply chains to make sure we are minimizing costs for the final products.
These PCBs contain:
- Very high frequency circuitry (>30GHz), therefore part of the work will be managing a team to simulate these structures to guarantee performance.
- High-end RFSoCs (like Xilinx Zynqs) so complex digital layouts are also required
- Large layer counts (10 to >14) to enable and minimise the area for all the circuitry required
Alongside the PCBs developments other aspects of the hardware will also be managed within this group like power supply modules, cabling and interfaces.
The Director of Hardware Engineering will also be responsible for the processes and tools required for such design work including the Altium toolset, Vault and Component Databases including inter-operation with the Mechanical Solidworks packages, RF modelling with HFSS and Arena PLM tool.
- Manage and report on the daily activities of the Hardware Engineering team to deliver designs and products on time and on budget
- Build a Hardware Engineering team that facilitates scale and growth in line with company objectives
- Deliver technology and products that meet performance, cost and quality metrics
- Managing the schematic capture of all PCB developments for the various prototypes and products
- Responsible for all the PCB Layout activities required for the PCBs
- Responsible for Altium PCB Tools sets, including schematic capture, layout, data-pack generation, vault, lifecycle & component databases
- Decisions on outsourcing PCB designs vs controlling and developing in-house
- Manage a small team responsible for various RF and Antenna modelling within the system.
- Responsible for the design and definition of any cabling and interconnects within the system and to any other systems.
- Managing the PCB bring-up and testing of the various systems under development
- Managing the various activities for EMC testing of the product and subsystems.
- Responsible for developing the Design Verification & Test plans required for PCBs within the system.
- Working closely with various design leads and Supply Chain group to implement suitable DfM activities to ensure we minimising the costs of all aspects of the system.
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives in the areas of analysis, design, and performance of the systems within our terminal products
- Support the certification of products under electrical, environmental, and operational standards
- Manage multiple programs/products simultaneously and able to manage through times of conflicting and dynamic priorities
- Provide effective and efficient design support during the conceptual design, detailed design, integration, and test phases of a product development program, with the goal of achieving project completion on time and on budget
- Prepare and present design and analysis summary material during internal and external design reviews
- Contributes towards Company design procedures and corporate policies
- Other tasks, as assigned from time to time
- Familiar with Altium for PCB design and layout
- Experience in development and commercialization of SATCOM ground terminals or modems (Desirable)
- Familiarity with wired and wireless terrestrial communication channels
- Understanding of regulatory compliance for electronics
- Proficiency with standard scientific computing toolkits, languages, and packages, such as Matlab/Python etc. (Preferred but not essential)
- Understanding of industry-standard software tools
- BS or MS in Systems, Electronics or related Engineering discipline
- 10+ years of experience in the fields of Electronics Engineering developing a number of complex PCBs
Isotropic Systems is a pre-revenue start-up, working on cutting edge technology in the satellite communications industry. There's a lot of hard work (and sometimes long hours) involved to get the job done. You'll do really well here if you have a great work ethic, are passionate about delivering innovation and want to be part of something truly groundbreaking.
We offer a highly competitive compensation package (salary, bonus and equity) and a culture that recognises and rewards your contributions. We operate out of serviced offices in Central Reading (less than a 5 minute walk from the station) and are growing fast, doubling our headcount in the last 3 months with more to come. We are passionate, respectful, creative, bold and have high integrity. We are Isotropic!
Isotropic embraces diversity and inclusion! We celebrate it, we actively seek it out, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our product and our community. Isotropic is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Please note that Isotropic Systems Limited operates a strict PSL and to be fair to our suppliers we do not operate outside of this. We do not accept speculative CV’s from agencies and they will not constitute an introduction.