What's involved with this role: A Basic DBS disclosure required To carry out food hygiene inspections, undertake health and safety covid spot checks, investigate food and health and safety complaints, give advice and support service delivery.
To carry out statutory enforcement responsibilities, investigations, give advice and provide a responsive and proactive service in respect of environmental health functions in accordance with Service Delivery Plans. To implement the Service’s key priorities in respect of environmental health matters and undertake specialist activities and project work. Main Accountabilities:
- To carry out inspection programmes according to risk and in accordance with statutory requirements, national guidance, Council policy and service delivery plans.
- To respond to a wide range of complex service requests with advice on good practice in accordance with statutory requirements and Council Policy, including advice to local retailers, manufacturers and the suppliers of goods and services, concerning their legal responsibilities.
- To make recommendations, regarding simple cautions and the institution of legal proceedings in relation to public health, nuisance and general street scene issues in accordance with Council policy. To produce witness statements, prosecution reports and present evidence in Court.
- To undertake a specialist role acting as a consultant and advisor to colleagues, to maintain information and legislation relating to that specialism and to ensure that new developments are communicated to both the team, the Food Team leader and the Food & Safety Manager.
- To participate in special projects / investigations, and to co–ordinate, as necessary.
- To participate in the preparation and presentation of reports concerning the service.
- To maintain premises and case files and other records including electronic records.
- To represent the section at meetings and working groups within the Local Authority and with external organisations.
- To maintain a personal portfolio of Primary Authority Partnerships, providing specialist and complex advice for national and multinational companies on behalf of the Council.
- To organise and participate in instructional talks, lectures and public meetings and to undertake educational and promotional initiatives, including media interviews as appropriate.
- Will comply with the duties and functions prescribed in the Council’s Health & Safety management system and related policies in respect of the work of the section.
- To participate in the Out of Hours Service.
. Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for. “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- A Basic DBS Disclosure Check is required - please give details if you have one already in place. Taking out a basic check is likely to be required as a precondition to starting the assignment.
- A Degree or Diploma in Environmental Health or equivalent.
- Member of relevant Professional Body.
- Demonstration of continuous professional development
- At least 1 year’s practical experience in
- Environmental Health and 4 years theoretical study.
- Experience of carrying out inspections and
- investigations in accordance with statutory requirements, guidance and internal procedures
- An understanding of the demands of the role of the job including a working knowledge of Environmental Health legislation
- Commitment to and knowledge of equal opportunities with an awareness and understanding of communities in Slough
- Demonstrates political sensitivity and work effectively to the Council’s policies and procedures
- Demonstrates an understanding of financial systems and resource management - desirable
- IT skills including Microsoft packages
- Possession of full driving licence
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
If you would prefer to send a CV straight to us rather than by way of an on-line application, you are very welcome to do so via firstname.lastname@example.org but please quote both the job reference and job title exactly as they appear below: Job Ref: Slough RQ403055 Anticipated Length of Assignment:
Unless otherwise stated (we do carry the occasional permanent vacancy) all of our roles are technically temporary, though opening assignments can be and often are, extended by clients on a longer term basis and can sometimes become permanent. Please do try to resist contacting us with requests for progress updates.
We really do read every CV sent to us. All applications will be acknowledged by a human, not a robot, provided the job remains live and provided your CV meets the “Essential Requirements” listed. Please note that we do our level best to take down ads as soon as roles have been filled. We are not in the business of harvesting CVs. Important
: We will interpret your application as being permission to submit your CV to this role (with the right to represent you) unless you advise us to the contrary.