We are seeking a Health & Safety, Security & Facilities Manager to join us on a 12-month Fixed Term Contract, as we set-up a new online Grocery Customer Fulfilment Centre in Greenford, West London (UB6 0AU). This is a start-up operation which Wincanton will design, construct and operate on behalf of Waitrose to enable them to meet significant new demand for Grocery Online Shopping.
This new partnership with Waitrose is a key strategic priority for Wincanton and allows us to bring together our substantial capabilities in Food Logistics, Home Delivery, Customer Experience and Online Fulfilment. It's an industry first as Wincanton will be the only third-party logistics provider in the UK to operate an online Grocery Customer Fulfilment Centre. The operation is due to go live in early 2021 and we are now starting to recruit the site-based Leadership Team who are likely to have extensive experience in large-scale Food Retail, Food Distribution/Logistics & Transport
Who are we?
Wincanton is a leading third-party logistics (3PL) and supply chain solutions provider in the UK and Ireland. With over 17,000 colleagues across more than 200 sites and a 3,400 strong fleet of vehicles, we put our customers at the heart of everything we do, and our mission is “to make our customers business’s better, every day.”
How will you contribute?
- Undertake extensive due diligence to deliver a safe and successful opening of the Customer Fulfilment Centre, ensuring compliance with H&S legislation and Wincanton/Waitrose's defined operating standards
- Undertake extensive risk assessments and make clear recommendations for how work should be completed in the safest way possible incl. Covid-19 implications
- Co-design operational ways of working and safe systems of work so as to minimise risk and protect colleague safety/wellbeing
- Develop and promote a pro-active Health and Safety culture, encouraging staff involvement and individual ownership
- Ensure appropriate procedures and audits are in place to maintain Food Safety standards and Transport compliance requirements
- Develop and implement a site-based H&S plan including awareness campaigns, training, audits, communication, forums, KPI reporting etc
- Develop and implement a site-based Loss Prevention/Security plan that protects both colleagues and the business, to include; visitor access, security gates/scanners, CCTV, product protection, investigations etc
- Set-up the site-based facilities requirements, and proactively manage preventative maintenance schedules ensuring appropriate due diligence and compliance standards are met at all times
- Maintain accurate and auditable records related to accidents, road traffic incidents, food safety, transport compliance, risk assessments, fire safety and all other relevant legislative requirements
- Develop and deliver H&S/compliance training to all new starters/managers and ensure regular refresh training programmes are delivered in-line with defined requirements
- Support the management team with investigations and give clear direction regarding recommendations for improvement and necessary corrective action.
- Preparation and support for internal and external audits
- Monitor and track safety/operational performance against key KPI’s and present action plans to the site management team and Waitrose
- Recruit, manage and develop a small team of safety, security and facilities specialists
- Ensure budgets are carefully monitored and appropriate rationale provided for spend requests
- Role model what good Safety/Security standards/expectations look like and keep up to date with changes in legislation and best practice
What will you bring?
- Extensive experience in H&S & Facilities within large, complex, 24-7, food/food-related warehousing and transport environments
- Relevant H&S qualifications e.g. IOSH/NEBOSH, up to date knowledge of H&S legislation and exposure to HSE codes of practice/procedures (incl. Covid-19)
- Background in Food Logistics/Distribution (3PL/in-house), Food Retail, Foodservice, or FMCG Manufacturing
- Good working knowledge of Food Safety and Transport Compliance best practice
- Exposure to Security & Loss Prevention within Retail store and/or logistics environments
- Experience of setting up new operations and/or delivering large scale operational change projects
- A track record of developing and embedding a ‘safety first culture’ that's led and sustained by all
- Experience of designing safe systems of work, risk assessments and delivering colleague H&S/Compliance training
- Strong commercial awareness and understanding of how H&S/Security/Loss Prevention can impact KPI’s & financial performance
- Ability to build strong and effective relationships by demonstrating knowledge, integrity, reliability and professionalism
- Strong and succinct communication skills with the ability to influence across all levels (internally and externally)
- Passionate, engaging, self-starting, a team player, resilient and flexible (24/7 operation)
- Role model of our leadership behaviours/values and an ambassador for the site and Wincanton
What do we offer?
We really value our people and offer a friendly, safety first working environment and a competitive salary along with other benefits including; company pension scheme, private healthcare, 25 days hols + bank hols with the option to buy more, share incentive plan, cycle to work scheme ,employee benefits online discount platform, onsite parking, onsite canteen + much more
Our people are at the core of our business and what makes Wincanton great. That’s why we also provide significant opportunities for career development and progression, as well as training enrichment and multi-skilling, in a dynamic working environment.
If you feel that you have what it takes to support Wincanton in delivering the best service, we would love to hear from you. Please apply by following the links and uploading your CV. We are a fast-moving organisation so we may not always wait until the closing date to review applications. As a result, you should submit your CV as soon as possible!
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/90973416