Changing the way people think about waste.
At Biffa, we love working with waste. Whether we’re turning it into sustainable power, finding new ways to recycle it or simply keeping it off the streets, we believe every day is an opportunity to improve the lives of millions. It’s a view that’s shared by our 7,500+ people around the country, who trust us to provide them with a career that’s always rewarding, often challenging, but never dull. And it’s why we’re the UK’s No. 1 choice for business waste management
Help us make a difference as a Depot Manager based from our Depot in Atherstone (CV9 1JG)
A quick look at the role.
We’re on the hunt for a Depot Manager to effectively manage the operations and grow the busines of a Transfer Station or a combined Transfer Station treatment site. Ensuring health and safety, environmental and operator licence compliance won’t simply be your bread and butter, it needs to be your passion. Along with delivering first-class customer service and cultivating an environment where continuous improvement is the norm, not the exception.
The role requires the management and motivation of multi-disciplined staff with this including Chemists, Operatives, Drivers and Admin Staff. As well as the team on site, the role will require working with the wider management team to deliver on company strategy and customer expectations.
Why it’s an opportunity not to be wasted.
- A great chance to provide strong leadership to the team while setting clear performance standards and completing coaching, training and development; this will support with meeting set targets as well as being visible within the site operations.
- Be trusted to maintain compliance with environmental permit(s), licences and associated regulations/guidance and to ensure positive relationships with the HSE and EA/SEPA/NRW while maintaining commercial viability.
- A chance to drive compliance of Health & Safety, Environmental, Employment legislation and Company policy to ensure defined standards and best practice are adhered to and engendered within the site.
- An opportunity to ensure compliance with the required dangerous goods (ADR) regulations for dispatch of waste.
- A real opportunity to share best practice while supporting the development of the drivers and staff as a whole.
- Be trusted to maintain the site, plant and equipment to company or supplier specifications.
- A chance to deliver customer service excellence through reviewing site bookings and ensuring that the site has sufficient capacity, labour and resources to meet the requirements.
- Work alongside existing and sourced new suppliers to aid the operation of the site and development of recycling/disposal options delivering profitability.
- Play an integral role in driving positive growth of the sites P&L through working with the local Business Development Manager and building/owning local customer relations on key accounts, whilst also delivering on budgetary targets, by reducing costs and increasing efficiency.
Here’s what we require:
- CoTC transfer level IV qualification is essential.
- Minimum GCSE (or equivalent) in English and Maths, however A-Levels or a Degree certainly won’t do any harm.
- NEBOSH General Certificate is desirable.
- HNC in Chemistry or related subject is desirable.
- National CPC is desirable.
- Extensive experience as Operations Manager (or similar level of responsibility in services or logistics).
- Experience of people and health and safety management within a unionised and multi-shift environment.
- Proven track record of working to clearly defined service delivery KPI’s.
- Experience of managing a P&L (profit and loss)
- The ability to work within a commercially driven and time-critical environment.
- Extensive understanding of the waste industry and relevant laws.
- Knowledge of existing and impending environmental and health and safety legislation.
- Knowledge/understanding of ISO 9001, 14001 and 18001.
- Proven track record of delivering continuous improvement within an operational environment.
- Analytical approach to problem solving and implementation of solutions.
- Very strong relationship management, leadership, and motivational skills.
- The ability to communicate with conviction, plan with precision and, most importantly, play well with others.
- Strong knowledge of the local area.
- Flexibility to work from varied Biffa locations as the business requires.
- Ability to work unsociable hours with occasional nights away from home.
- Ability to respond out of hours to operational and customer emergencies on rare or infrequent occasions.
And here’s why you’ll love it at Biffa.
- Ongoing career development, training and coaching – because if you don’t grow, we don’t grow.
- Generous pension scheme.
- Medical and dental scheme.
- Retail and leisure discounts.
- Holiday and travel discounts.
- Bike to work scheme.
- Plus much more…….
Dedicated to diversity.
At Biffa we believe different ideas, perspective and backgrounds are key to developing a creative working environment that delivers real results. It’s why you’ll find us championing diversity and equality at every turn.