Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Project Manager to join our Regional team to work in Langley, the role will require travel to various sites across the country.
The role of Assistant Project Manager is to support the Programme and Project Management Team to deliver a portfolio of Telecom sites/work packages within the business. To manage customer relationships and retain customers by meeting and exceeding expectations. To deliver a best practice and compliant gated lifecycle business
Responsibilities include assisting the Project Manager in the day to day management of the end end project management processes, standards and governance, in order to drive business compliance. This will include but not be limited to ensuring Project Management Plans and Stage Gate documentation is complete and compliant, the planning of each work package ensuring the highest standards of HSEQ, change notification registers are upto date and progressed, weekly programme updates provided and were applicable given the P6 planners, Project on a Page ( Poaps) actions are closed prior to the next Poap and risk registers are maintained within the IRIS environment.
The role is to support the Project Manager in the production of effective MI and KPI data.
What you'll be doing
As an Assistant Project Manager, your main responsibilities are as follows:
- Manage members of the project team and supply chain to deliver a portfolio of Telecom work packages to time, cost, and quality targets and standards
Plan and track changes across the portfolio
- Ensure safety targets and standards are maintained by:
- Knowing what safety excellence looks like and communicating safety with passion and credibility, in order to inspire, motivate and manage the project team to achieve the vision
- Fostering a continuous improvement culture by actively seeking input from all members of the project team and encouraging them to implement safety improvements
- Visiting sites, reviewing working practices. Delivering toolbox talks and sharing best practices
- Ensure sustainability targets are achieved by:
- Actively engaging with the customer to understand and deliver their key sustainability objectives
- Promoting Sustainable Solutions around all operations, particularly those related to efficient management of Waste, Energy and Water
- Manage the customer relationship during delivery, including change and decision making to manage expectations
- Ensure the Company and Divisional procedures and policies are followed by the relevant teams, i.e. the Business Management System, including the Process Operating Model
- Manage external consultants (e.g. design) to enable delivery driving value, customer focus and achievement of the projects objectives
- May manage or input into any post completion issues to maintain a positive customer relationship and repeat business performance levels
- Ensure effective records are maintained and kept for project delivery
- Support the project manager to:
- Report periodically to Senior Management on project progress, risks and issues using robust reporting systems to meet the needs of the business
- Set up appropriate lean visual programme to assist the Project Team to timely deliver projects and improve productivity, performance and safety of projects
- Manage and deliver operational excellence and efficiency through:
- Appropriate use of leadership indicator health check reviews through the Bid, Pre- construction and Construction phases of the project
- Ensuring rigorous monthly project improvement processes are in place
- Thorough implementation of planning, risk, project controls and change controls
- Implementation of Lean principles throughout the project to drive productivity, performance and safety
- Ensuring Lean Visual daily management meetings are carried out to drive project performance
- Implementation of best practice commercial management
- Utilise BIM, where appropriate, to optimise project delivery and drive safety, particularly to support collaborative integrated teamwork
- Understand the relevant Contract terms and conditions for each project
- Live the Balfour Beatty Values
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm
- Support the delivery of CSUKs Sustainability activities
- Engaging in the Telecom PDCA principles
Who we're looking for
The following qualities and experience are essential:
- Previous experience in managing, and planning works on, a portfolio of Telecom sites
- An appropriate and valid CSCS Card and SMSTS qualified
- Any project management related experience would be preferrential
- Experience of programme co-ordination/administration
- Knowledge of project management tools and techniques
- A formal academic qualification relevant to the role
- Good Knowledge and experience of Microsoft packages, including Project, Powerpoint, Word and Excel
- Good interpersonal communications skills, both written and verbal
- Understanding of the importance for detail and organisation
- Skill at managing stakeholder groups and balancing diplomacy and tact with assertiveness
- Excellent prioritisation skills to balance priorities
- Be results driven ensuring the role retains the support of the Project Managers and other stakeholders
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.