Changing the way the world thinks about waste
At Biffa, we love working with waste. Whether we’re turning it into sustainable power, finding new ways to recycle it or simply keeping it off the streets, we believe every day is an opportunity to improve the lives of millions. It’s a view that’s shared by our 7,500+ people around the country, who trust us to provide them with a career that’s always rewarding, often challenging, but never dull. And it’s why we’re the UK’s No. 1 choice for business waste management.
A quick look at the role
The Group SHQ Systems Manager leads and manages the development of the company SHQ standards and documented arrangements which facilitate the highest standards of SHQ across the Biffa Group enabling the continuous improvement in all relevant aspects of safety, health and quality performance.
Why it’s an opportunity not to be wasted
- Lead and coordinate the development of Biffa Group SHQ standards and supporting management systems, overseeing the formulation, development and maintenance of all Biffa SHQ documented management systems
- Achieve and maintain all Biffa management system standard certifications including ISO 9001, 14001 and 45001. To also identify and oversee the attainment of other SHQ system accreditations applicable to support the business undertaking
- Establish and maintain a management framework which adequately supports the delivery and reporting of internal and external Safety, Health, Environment and Quality audits.
- Lead on the effective coordination and delivery of an internal SHQ audit function across Group operations
- Ensure that all actions arising from external and internal SHEQ audits are brought to a satisfactory conclusion in a timely and effective manner
- Provide accurate and timely management information which enables the assessment of group performance and progress against Group SHQ Standards and other associated targets and KPIs
- Maintain the SHQ risk elements contained within the company risk registers
- Represent Biffa both internally and externally, building relationships with key stakeholders, including national regulators, trade unions and key industry forums to preserve and promote Biffa’s reputation for Safety, Health, and Quality, whilst keeping up to date with trends, issues and future legislative changes to influence/ shape policy.
- Collaborate and work effectively with other Biffa business functions and teams identifying efficiency opportunities where there is close working involved with other Heads of Disciplines
- Monitor safety, health and environmental legislative policy developments, providing consultation responses and advice to the business to guide strategic planning, legal compliance and supporting training requirements across the business.
- Manage direct reports such that all associated work and deliverables are delivered to the highest standards
- NEBOSH Health and Safety Diploma (or equivalent at Level 6).
- Chartered Member of IOSH.
- Recognised environmental management qualification (E.g. IEMA Certificate in Environmental Management)
- Lead Auditor training – ISO Management System Standards
- NEBOSH Specialist Diploma in Environmental Management (or equivalent).
- NEBOSH National Certificate in Fire Safety and Risk Management (or equivalent).
- Recognised Quality Management qualification
- Minimum of five years experience in leading a Safety, Health & Environmental management team.
- Excellent knowledge of SHEQ legislation and management system implementation
- Outstanding presentation skills and training delivery skills.
- Process driven with a continuous improvement mind set
- Prepared to travel nationally as and when required to support the Divisional SHQ and Operational teams.
And here’s why you’ll love it at Biffa.
At Biffa we believe different ideas, perspective and backgrounds are key to developing a creative working environment that delivers real results. It’s why you’ll find us championing diversity and equality at every turn.
This position offers the successful candidate an opportunity to build an outstanding career in a market-leading business with an outstanding reputation in the industry. In return we offer a competitive salary, bonus, company car and an extensive benefits package.