What's involved with this role:
An Environmental Health Officer - Facilities & Environmental Services is required to join a food and infectious disease control team. It is essential that you have a relevant accredited Environmental Health degree and hold either Environmental Health Registration Board (EHRB) registration as an Environmental Health Practitioner (EHP) (or historical equivalent), the Higher Certificate in Food Control, or the Advanced Professional Certificate in Food Hygiene and Standards Control (APC-Food). Duties may include:
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for. “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- To carry out inspection programmes according to risk and in accordance with statutory requirements, national guidance, Council policy and service delivery plans.
- To respond to a wide range of complex service requests with advice on good practice in accordance with statutory requirements and Council Policy, including advice to local retailers,
- manufacturers and the suppliers of goods and services, concerning their legal responsibilities.
- To make recommendations, regarding simple cautions and the institution of legal proceedings in relation to public health, nuisance and general street scene issues in accordance with Council policy. To produce witness statements, prosecution reports and present evidence in Court.
- To undertake a specialist role acting as a consultant and advisor to colleagues, to maintain information and legislation relating to that specialism and to ensure that new developments are communicated to both the team, the Food Team leader and the Food & Safety Manager.
- To participate in special projects / investigations, and to co–ordinate, as necessary.
- To participate in the preparation and presentation of reports concerning the service.
- To maintain premises and case files and other records including electronic records.
- To represent the section at meetings and working groups within the Local Authority and with external organisations.
- To maintain a personal portfolio of Primary Authority Partnerships, providing specialist and complex advice for national and multinational companies on behalf of the Council.
- To organise and participate in instructional talks, lectures and public meetings and to undertake educational and promotional initiatives, including media interviews as appropriate.
- Will comply with the duties and functions prescribed in the Council’s Health & Safety management system and related policies in respect of the work of the section.
- To participate in the Out of Hours Service.
- To carry out any other duties as may be required by the Food Team Leader or the Food & Safety Manager. including undertaking the duties of other Environmental Health Officers in their absence or as required, at a level commensurate with skills and experience
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- A relevant accredited Environmental Health degree and hold either Environmental Health Registration Board (EHRB) registration as an Environmental Health Practitioner (EHP) (or historical equivalent), the Higher Certificate in Food Control, or the Advanced Professional Certificate in Food Hygiene and Standards Control (APC-Food)
- **Please provide details of all qualifications held, especially any professional qualifications relating to the role
- Knowledge & Skills:
- An understanding of the demands of the role of the job including a working knowledge of Environmental
- Health legislation
- Commitment to and knowledge of equal opportunities with an awareness and understanding of communities in Slough
- Demonstrates political sensitivity and work effectively to the Council’s policies and procedures
- Demonstrates an understanding of financial systems and resource management
- Able to take responsibility for projects or cases and provide specialist advice
- Strong level of IT skills and ability to learn and retain new systems and information
- Good influencing and negotiating skills
- Demonstrates good communication skills
- Commitment to quality service and customer care with a good level of customer care skills to deal with a diverse group of people, communicating clearly, simply and effectively in writing and verbally
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as using own initiative to solve problems and prioritise workloads.
- Ability to give evidence in enquiries, tribunals and legal proceedings and assisting in the compilation of legal files
- Ability to produce correspondence, notices and reports and to make recommendations under relevant legislation
- Previous experience in Environmental Health relating to food premises
- Experience of carrying out inspections and investigations in accordance with statutory requirements, guidance and internal procedures
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
If you would prefer to send a CV straight to us rather than by way of an on-line application, you are very welcome to do so via email@example.com but please quote both the job reference and job title exactly as they appear below: Job Ref: Herefordshire RQ404409 Anticipated Length of Assignment:
Unless otherwise stated (we do carry the occasional permanent vacancy) all of our roles are technically temporary, though opening assignments can be and often are, extended by clients on a longer term basis and can sometimes become permanent. Please do try to resist contacting us with requests for progress updates.
We really do read every CV sent to us. All applications will be acknowledged by a human, not a robot, provided the job remains live and provided your CV meets the “Essential Requirements” listed. Please note that we do our level best to take down ads as soon as roles have been filled. We are not in the business of harvesting CVs. Important
: We will interpret your application as being permission to submit your CV to this role (with the right to represent you) unless you advise us to the contrary.