Balfour Beatty is recruiting for an Senior Planner to join our Regional team to work in Birmingham.
You will be working on a 3 year maintenance and refurbishment project for the NHS in Birmingham. We are looking for an Asta Planner with experience of delivering a large and complex program of work in a live environment. All applicants should have experience of M&E and internal finishes, healthcare experience would be advantageous but not essential.
What you'll be doing
As a Senior Planner, your main responsibilities are as follows:
- Responsible at tender stage to the Bid Manager or Sales Lead for the range of activities involved in the project planning life cycle
- Ensuring that the programme content is functionally compliant with the planning procedures and guidance.
- Identifying planning scope, major constraints and contract requirements
- Identifying major quantities and factors affecting the programme
- Establishing and agreeing with Operations construction outputs and agreeing working hours with appropriate Estimator
- Establishing and agreeing with Operations and Bid Team key methods of construction, sequencing, installation and commissioning
- Producing and documenting the planning deliverables including programmes, planning philosophy, presentations and reports.
- Producing the Tender Programme and supporting information in accordance with the tender requirements
- Developing overall programmes, issue to all parties for review and implement recommendations, innovation and best practice as applicable
- Reconciling company and sub-contract plant/labour and major materials elements in conjunction where appropriate Applying resource levelling techniques as necessary
- Interfacing with third parties to identify and resolve issues
- In addition to the above, at contract stage the Senior Planner is accountable to the Project Lead for:
- Ensuring that the Contract Programme is produced, managed and maintained in accordance with the planning procedures
- The overall planning strategy and the timing & sequence of the Contract Programme activities
- The issue and communication of the Contract Programme to the Project Lead for onward issue to Client and Project Team
- Ensuring that all other project planning and programming necessary for the execution of the contract is properly undertaken
- Provide support, as required to the BIM Co-ordinators to meet the project requirements or tender submission deliverables
- Set up appropriate lean visual programme metrics to assist the Project Team to timely deliver projects and improve productivity, performance and safety of projects
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm
- Support the delivery of UKCSs Sustainability activities
Who we're looking for
The following qualities and experience are essential:
- Experience of planning/programming works in a live environment
- Capable of working on multiple schemes in parallel with direct reports
- Substantial experience of planning services within large complex environments within the construction industry
- Good experience in the use of planning techniques and the required planning toolsets
- Good understanding of various forms of tender documents, contract documents and specifications.
- Good understanding of various methods of planning, programming and progress monitoring.
- Good understanding of risk and opportunity management with particular reference to planning/programming.
- Good understanding of the events that initiate, and of the methods used to demonstrate, delay or change entitlement.
- Good understanding of the construction market, methods of construction, plant, equipment and labour requirements.
- Relevant CSCS Card
- A degree, or HND in a relevant subject is desirable, as is Professional membership of one or more of the following: RICS/CIOB/RIBA/ICE/CIBSE
- Plus additional skills from the UKCS Planning Development and Gap Analysis Tool.
- Experience of highways work is essential and rail is preferable
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.