Principal Accountant – Local Government – Rugby Borough Council
I am currently recruiting for a Principal Accountant – HRA, on a permanent basis for Rugby Borough Council they are looking for a candidate who has significant experience in HRA and Capital Projects with some Treasury exposure being beneficial. The role will report directly into the Financial Services Manager & Deputy Chief Financial Officer this is a key post in the delivery of the Council’s Financial Services function, with the post holder playing a crucial role in the delivery of service transformation, driving efficiency and productivity improvements and the optimisation of income opportunities, to contribute towards the achievement of financial self-sufficiency. The salary for this position is up to £44,000 per annum.
Requirements of Principal Accountant - HRA:
- Be the financial expert of the Council for Housing Services, for both the Housing Revenue Account (HRA) and General Fund Housing Services
- Provide a proactive internal financial advisory service to the Council across a range of major corporate initiatives, projects and schemes
- Provide a proactive internal financial advisory service to the Council across a range of major corporate initiatives, projects and schemes, the Council’s Treasury Management activities and Council Strategy and handle the Council’s payments to suppliers
- Deal with all VAT implications in respect of payments made and income received.
- The development of financial reporting and monitoring tools for Budget Managers to support the Council’s objective to provide a more self-service approach to forecasting and budget planning
- Co-ordinate the Council’s capital budgets and programme, including financing and all associated balance sheet and asset management transactions
- As one of the fastest growing tows in the country, this role will be assisting with commercial developments to ensure a strong financial position, improve services and achieve financial self-sufficiency
- This particular position will solely be working on projects within Housing and Capital area
- Focus on excellent management of our financial resources and the continuous improvement of processes, including promoting efficiencies, drive high performance and deliver excellent value for money services
- Responsible for financial strategies and policies, to standards and practices, to make timely, well-informed decisions about major initiatives, projects and schemes
Working Functions of Principal Accountant – HRA:
- Assistance with various strategies, including the Medium-Term Financial Strategy and Capital Strategy Incorporating Investment and Treasury Management Strategy, which may include financial system administration and reporting, system reconciliations and grant claims and returns
- Act as the Council’s expert on all financial matters relating Housing Services, including the HRA and General Fund Housing services, including leading and coordinating the planning, monitoring and setting of Housing Revenue Account budgets, incorporating annual rent setting, in compliance with regulations and to meet the objectives set in the HRA Business Plan and Council’s Corporate Strategy and contributing to the development of the 30-year HRA Business Plan through to the full completion of accounts
- Manage and co-ordinate the preparation and setting of the Council’s capital budgets, including financing and preparation of reports and the full completion of accounts, provide/contribute to the preparation for and implementation of changes to capital accounting regulation
- Make a significant contribution towards the production of the Capital Strategy Incorporating Investment and Treasury Management Strategy, including the monitoring of capital resources and funding sources
Person Criteria of Principal Accountant:
- Minimum 2 years post-qualification experience in a professional finance environment
- Understanding of Local Government policies and legislation
- Fully qualified member of one of the accountancy institutes in CCAB, ACA, ACCA or CIMA (preferably CIPFA), and to be comfortable challenging processes
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, then please forward your CV and availability.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/91266038