Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Project Managerto join our Living Places business unit to work in Hereford.
What you'll be doing
- A member of the Project Management team, reporting to the Project Management Team Leader.
- To support the Project Management Team Leader in the delivery of the team functions and requirements
- To ensure that assigned schemes proceed smoothly on site and that effective public engagement takes place through the life of the project.
- Promote and reinforce the Balfour Beatty Zero Harm health and safety culture.
- Ensure compliance with the legal and Balfour Beatty requirements concerning Safety, Health, Environment and Sustainability.
As a Senior Project Manager, your main responsibilities are as follows:
Who we're looking for
- Promote the principles of health and safety leadership within the Project Management Team by setting good examples to the sub team.
- Work with the CDM coordinator, TSCO and Temporary Works Coordinator to ensure that schemes coming to site meet all BBLP safety requirements.
- Develop a culture of continuous improvement, through effective communication to all levels of staff involving open discussions, feedback and exchange of new ideas and best practice.
- Assist the Project Management Team Leader in providing accurate and timely input to the Annual Plan and Forward Programme in accordance with contract requirements.
- Ensure work meets the required standards for delivery inspections and audits to ensure the BBLP business complies with OHSAS18001, ISO14001 and ISO9001 standards and other Balfour Beatty standards.
- Ensure all project work for which responsible has comprehensive and up to date programmes of work utilising Microsoft project.
- Ensure all project work for which responsible has clear, comprehensive and up to date risk registers, including cost information.
- Ensure accurate and timely change control is maintained through use of Early Warnings and Compensations Events.
- To assist the Project Management Team Leader in ensuring that utilisation is maximised and liaising with other teams to provide support as required.
- Ensure time sheets are provided on time to the Project Management Team Leader and that they accurately reflect the work carried out.
- Proactively respond to any finance queries raised.
- Ensure all project work for which responsible has comprehensive and up to date statements of account, adopting the principles of cost value reporting.
- Prepare and update target costs for project.
- Provide advice to other teams as required.
- Take ownership of the delivery of the Project Management assigned and report to the Project Management Team Leader on progress for the regular contract business reviews.
- Routinely monitor and report health and safety compliance within the sub team to the Project Management Team Leader.
- Promote a positive Health, Safety and Environmental management culture to achieve a target of zero incidents under Zero Harm, Zero-In and 20-20 Sustainability Vision or other safety and environment campaigns that may arise.
- Assist the Project Management Team Leader to identify and promote best practice within the Project Management Team.
- Provide advice and guidance to team members such that they are fully appraised and aware of their obligations concerning company, legislative and best practice, policies, procedures and practices.
- Provide short term cover and support to other members of the Project Management team as requested, in case of annual, sick, or compassionate leave.
- Ensure sufficient service delivery information is available in the defence of 3rd party claims that may arise from incidents on the Herefordshire highway network.
- Maintain good working relationships with client officers, providing timely updates and information as requested.
- Develop good working relationships with sub-consultants for the delivery of specialist services.
- Develop a strong working relationship with BBLP site staff and sub-contractors.
- Ensure customer service and customer satisfaction levels meet the requirements of the Herefordshire Council and adhere to company service criteria.
- Encourage staff by example to proactively meet with customers to get a closer working relationship with communities and thus promote BBLP best practice.
- Identify to the Project Management Team Leader any opportunities for business development within the team or wider contract.
The following qualities and experience are essential:
Why work for us
- Good planning and organisational skills.
- Good presentation, influencing and motivation skills.
- Good communication skills both verbal and written.
- Confident in providing advice, training and support to others.
- Desire to develop and is motivated by achieving targets.
- Good team worker and able to forge good working relationships with other teams.
- Flexible attitude and willingness to travel to multiple site locations.
- Educated to a HNC/HND as a minimum.
- Ideally degree educated with professional membership.
- Strong experience of complex project management
- Experience and understanding of working on and off the public highway on construction sites desirable.
- Experience of NEC Option 3 contract type
- Experience and understanding of civil engineering contracts, CDM regulations, and risk.
- PC Literate and knowledge of MS suite i.e. Word, Excel, Project etc.
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
The way we live our lives is changing fast: where and how we live, work, travel, shop, relax and socialise. The evolving nature of our society means we all need to shape our environment to meet a complex array of individual and collective needs.
Wherever investment in these environments is needed, Living Places works in partnership with Local Authorities to consult, finance, design, build and manage the essential place infrastructure that local communities and national economies need to prosper and grow.
We are right at the heart of a dynamic place shaping agenda that brings Local Authorities, local communities, Central Government, and the Private Sector together to create safe, sustainable, flexible and dynamic public spaces geared to community social need, economic growth and personal well-being as well as being environmentally sustainable.
The provision of maintenance services for highways is only a small part of what is really needed. Our focus has moved beyond the road to deliver the potential of the street: a dynamic public place that connects and combines local community and business needs, encourages social interaction and helps pedestrians, motorists, bus riders, and cyclists to coexist safely. Building great public spaces with resource efficient assets enables functional, flexible and inspirational places to be at the heart of the community.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.