Changing the way People think about waste
At Biffa, we love working with waste. Whether we’re turning it into sustainable power, finding new ways to recycle it or simply keeping it off the streets, we believe every day is an opportunity to improve the lives of millions. It’s a view that’s shared by our 7,500+ people around the country, who trust us to provide them with a career that’s always rewarding, often challenging, but never dull. And it’s why we’re the UK’s No. 1 choice for business waste management.
Help us make a difference as a Bid Writer to assist in the creation of high-quality written submissions for all bids for the Municipal Division.
A quick look at the role.
The Bid Writer is an integral part of the Municipal Business Development team, who are in turn part of the Commercial Team. The role is there to maintain and improve the scores received for the quality element of a Public Sector bid, often 50-60% of the available score.
The Biffa division you’ll be supporting
Biffa’s household waste division delivers a range of cost-efficient, quality-led waste management services for 31 local authorities across the UK. With over 3,300 staff and around 1,562 specialist vehicles, our domestic waste management division makes 4.3 million collections each week from over 2.3 million households across Britain.
Why it’s an opportunity not to be wasted.
- Take ownership of the specific Method Statement(s) (or similar output requirements) allocated by the Bid Writing Manager ensuring the content is in line with the specification and other bid requirements
- Working with the Business Development Manager leading an individual bid to create, develop and complete all of the Quality submission elements in all stages of the bid process
- Working with the Business Development Manager to create the compliance matrix to measure the ongoing progress of the written submission and its compliance with the client requirements
- Writing the internal reports including progress meetings, sign-off approval meetings and papers required by the Investment Committee and Group Board
- Liaising with all departments (including Fleet, HR, IT, Procurement) to keep the specialist content relevant and up to date
- Working with the Head of Business Development to develop ongoing improvements to the standard bid submission template.
- Working within the bid writing cohort to maintain a library of model answers, relevant excerpts, quotations and case studies relevant to all aspects of the Municipal business’s services
- Attending regional meetings to keep up to date with existing contracts; identify development opportunities; and develop working relationships with Regional and Business Managers
Here’s what we require:
- Educated to Degree Level or equivalent
- Working in a tendering, bidding or pricing environment
- Bid writing, marketing, technical writing
- Excellent inter-personal skills and the ability to deal with individuals at all levels (both within the organisation and outside)
- Ability to self-manage workload and work to strict deadlines
- Organised, structured with an ability to gather information from a variety of sources
- Excellent written communication skills and numeracy skills
- Diligent with a good attention to detail
- Ability to work as part of a team and support on specific projects and tenders
- Ability to work occasional unsociable hours and be flexible to deadlines.
- The ability to work within a commercially driven and time-critical environment.
- Proven track record of working to clearly defined service delivery KPI’s
- The ability to communicate with conviction, plan with precision and, most importantly, play well with others.
- IT literate – comfortable using business software and systems and Microsoft Office Suite
And here’s why you’ll love it at Biffa.
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing career development, training and coaching – because if you don’t grow, we don’t grow
- Generous pension scheme
- Medical and dental scheme
- Retail and leisure discounts
- Holiday and travel discounts
Dedicated to diversity.
At Biffa we believe different ideas, perspective and backgrounds are key to developing a creative working environment that delivers real results. It’s why you’ll find us championing diversity and equality at every turn.