Principal Engineer – Chassis Driveline Concepts and Systems Analysis
Alexander Dennis – Any UK site
Competitive package + half day on Fridays
More than half of the buses that you see on the roads in the UK are made by Alexander Dennis. Globally, there’s over 25,000 people every minute, of every day using our products. That’s a lot of responsibility we have for keeping the world moving.
At Alexander Dennis we design, engineer, build and support the widest range of market leading buses and coaches using low, ultra-low and zero emission technologies. We have extensive experience in vehicle supply and support across Europe, Asia Pacific and North America, with a near 50:50 revenue split between UK and international markets.
We are excited about the opportunities arising from the global push for lower pollution and better air quality. The UK Government as well as many others around the world have committed to aggressive but achievable decarbonisation agendas and at Alexander Dennis, we are ready to deliver the green buses needed to transition to cleaner transport.
Engineering at Alexander Dennis takes many forms; however, in simple terms, we design buses and coaches by seamlessly integrating third party components (engines, transmissions etc.) into the Alexander Dennis designed Chassis and Body, all to meet our customers exacting requirements.
We are looking for a highly technically competent and collaboratively minded Principal Engineer to join the established team in the UK, leading low and zero-emission powertrain and chassis concept projects globally. In position, you will work cross functionally with internal and external subject matter experts, across whole vehicle systems to help define and select strategically important concepts to take forward.
- You’ll have an interesting and technically challenging workload from day one, where you will have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from an experienced and established team of experts in the UK and globally.
- It’s a dynamic, fast paced environment where no two days are the same with daily challenges for you to overcome.
- As the principal engineer in this area, you’ll have a good blend of operational and strategic responsibilities, with the opportunity to work alongside and influence colleagues across our parent company (NFI Group).
- We’re at the forefront of automotive technology and we have projects covering various innovations in different markets in the UK, Europe, Asia Pacific and the Americas.
- You’ll get to work on all types of vehicle drivelines from diesel to hydrogen fuel cells, to hybrids and full electric vehicles. As a result of this you will play a key role in contributing significantly to the de-carbonisation of the environment.
- You’ll take great pride and satisfaction in seeing projects from concept through to vehicles that you’ve worked on being in service around the world.
- You’ll get to work cross functionally with colleagues around the world and influence up to executive level both internally and externally, with the ability to see the tangible results of your hard work.
- As part of the USD $2.9bn NFI Group, you can be assured that there will be plenty of opportunities made available to you. This could be in the UK or any one of our global locations around the world, including Toronto, Hong Kong or Auckland.
- On top of a competitive package, which includes progressive pay potential and pension, we also operate a half day on Fridays giving you that much needed work-life-balance.
- Due to the technical nature of the role, you will be educated to Degree level (or equivalent experience), along with a proven track record of success in a similar role as defined in this advert, where you have been responsible for concept driveline projects on an international basis.
- Ideally your work experience will be gained in the Automotive industry and in particular bus, coach or HGV, where you have been responsible for driveline and powertrain design and engineering development activities.
- It would be an advantage if you were familiar with performing driveline and energy consumption analysis, using tools such as AVL cruise and/or Matlab, as well as practical test validation activities.
- Alongside your strong driveline and chassis expertise, you will be knowledgeable on whole vehicle systems integration across mechanical, electrical and software disciplines.
- Utilising your core technical and stakeholder engagement skills, you will be capable of objective, systematic evaluation of alternative competing systems solutions relative to overall product level performance requirements. Experience of systems engineering V model methodology would be a distinct advantage.
- You will have an ability to approach challenges in new, innovative ways; conceptualizing problems differently.
- As the Principal Engineer, you will be capable of inspiring, motivating and challenging direct and in-direct teams of technically orientated engineers to deliver new, innovative and class-leading concepts to support future business growth.
- You will have strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to listen and learn from subject matter experts, in turn allowing you to articulate your ideas and thoughts with stakeholders at all levels of seniority both internally and externally.
- Ideally you will bring with you strong existing relationships and evidence of engagement with industry and government transport working groups such as DfT, LCVP, VCA and others.
- Finally, you will be passionate about what you do and the advancement of the automotive industry.
What you will be doing in your new role:
- Lead, manage and motivate a small team, working in close collaboration with our wider engineering team to deliver chassis and driveline concept proposals to support new project proposals and contracts.
- You will lead concept review meetings involving relevant stakeholders to ensure an appropriate level of technical and commercial scrutiny is applied to design proposals.
- Using your strong communication and stakeholder engagement skills, you will consult widely with colleagues to secure input and agreement to legitimize concept demonstrating compliance to product requirements.
- As part of this, you will approach vehicle concept design using a systems engineering methodology, to ensure technical objectivity in supplier system selection and drive supplier accountability into the quality and performance of their delivered systems.
- You will apply analytical tools such as MatLab and/or AVL cruise to evaluate driveline system proposals in relation to overall vehicle performance requirements in support of concept selection and/or as evidence in support of conformance to powertrain efficiency targets such as LEB, ULEB, SORT etc. Experience of similar drivecycle test standards such as WLTP and NEDC or equivalent would also be of interest.
- You will ensure new vehicle systems proposals are developed collaboratively, taking guidance from internal subject matter experts and legitimizing proposals by staging a series of design reviews and DFMEA’s as appropriate.
If this sounds like you, then we would love to hear from you. Alongside uploading your CV, it would be great if you could include a short covering letter detailing the four or so reason why you are suited to the role.