Responsible for leading mechanical product design solutions for distributed generation products (mainly CHP and Power Generation via Gas Engines). Responsible for the solution development and end to end mechanical product design and engineering for distributed energy units for our industrial and commercial clients. Maintain subject matter expertise in CHP and Power Generation that assigned to this role. Support product through its lifetime from production – commissioning - service.
- Deliver industry leading energy generation solutions (CHP units from 35kW to 2.5MW and Power Generation units from 2MW) for industrial and commercial customers, working alongside other technical engineering teams.
- Ensure all work is achieved within agreed timescales, cost constraints and quality standards.
- Produce accurate and detailed P&ID diagrams to fully represent the CHP system
- To produce sizing calculations and to specify/select CHP components/equipment (e.g. pumps, fans, silencers, valves etc.)
- Provide design information to New Product Development (NPD) CAD to enable them to produce mechanical designs
- Work alongside the relevant technology specialists and engineers to produce comprehensive 2D and 3D design solutions and relevant bill of materials
- Responsible for preparing, presenting and agreeing design recommendations, with appropriate analysis of risk, and taking account of cost, quality, safety, reliability, appearance and fitness for purpose.
- Conduct design reviews with other departments to gauge feedback/acceptance from wider business.
- Create & maintain technical construction files for CHP designs to comply with best practice and CE legislation
- Thoroughly check colleagues design work including P&ID’s, calculations and general component selection and design intent.
- Drive performance testing of the final CHP design including gas consumption, heat outputs, noise testing etc. and provide technical reports
- Carry out on going updates and improvements; support the test of new designs in production and carry out any modifications as necessary
- Project manage improvement projects involving other departments as required
- Implement Change Notifications for updating CHP designs
- Provide support to sales/production/construction/service department on CHP build/operation as necessary
- Investigate and implement improvements in safety, quality, manufacturability, cost and lead time.
- Produce technical data sheets
Regulatory Compliance & standards:
- Responsible for maintaining engineering quality management system including engineering document control, quality control audit, software control, technical
- Operating procedures, records, complaints, etc.
Job Specific Competencies
- Technical Knowledge: Strong understanding of the engineering requirements and related challenges in a manufacturing setting with associated mechanical systems (pumps, heat exchangers, flow, gas, etc.). An understanding of the requirements of the prime mover and its relationship to the rest of the design.
- Design: Ability to produce detailed, practical and effective designs for our customers. Able to drill down into a level of understanding into subject area’s potentially not in your subject discipline.
- Attention to detail: Design and check designs to a high level to detail
- Cross Functional Communication: Be able to appreciate how your element of the design interacts with CAD, control panel design and software. Put systems in place to formalize communications lines.
- Proactive and collaborative self-starter with a high level of problem-solving skills
- Understanding of engineering design and operation
- High level of numeracy skills
- Sound communication & presentation skills
- Awareness of British Standards and CDM regulations
- Knowledge of fabrication and protective finish processes
- Awareness of H&S legislation including any site-specific regulations
- A bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering is a minimum requirement. A master’s in mechanical engineering or in a related subject area would be advantageous.
Job Specific Experience
- Mechanical engineering experience ideally linked to manufacturing of products
- The use and understanding of fluid/gas flow and thermal heat transfer/exchanger theory
- A background in generating detailed P&ID’s and producing equipment schedules
- Good time management skills with track record of project/design delivery to plan
- Minimum 3-7 years’ experience in mechanical product design role
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, MS Office and factory parts management systems
- Understand of the commercial aims and objectives of distributed energy
- Experienced in working to tight deadlines and managing simultaneous projects in a fast-moving delivery focused environment
- High level of numeracy skills