Apply for this jobThe Senior Architect is responsible for the architecture of all solutions within a Product Line and ensuring it is aligned with the Enterprise Architecture defined by the Chief Architect.
The Senior Architect is a senior position dealing with our largest and most complex programs and opportunities, and as such is a recognised as a technology expert, subject matter expert and thought leader, providing technical consultancy to the engineering and business teams.
The Senior Architect role engages with senior R&D, Product Management and business stakeholders to ensure the technical architecture and data modelling supports the execution of critical and transformative business functions.
The Senior Architect is a specialist in solution and service design, leveraging an up-to-date knowledge of applicable technologies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Track new technologies and vendors in the Digital Transformation space. Assess strategic technology trends, evaluate technical frameworks, provide strategic architectural roadmap recommendations and utilise this knowledge to drive architectural roadmap development.
- Conduct research and hold discussions with technology providers to identify and/or evaluate and validate emerging technologies that would enhance or compete with the ERT's products.
- Create and maintain the Product Line's solution design within the overall Enterprise Architecture. Provide input for architects transferring the Enterprise Architecture to a solution's implementation architecture by providing solution-specific detail for application, data, and technology views of the architecture.
- Maintain and manage architectural governance, ensuring adherence with ERT technical standards, gaining sign-off for proposed architectures & maintaining appropriate version control and documentation.
- Provide technical recommendations to senior management. Ensure that the overall architecture of all technology used to support the ERT business is sound, reliable, testable and maintainable. Contribute to defining development standards for the organisation.
- Oversee the architectural design and integrity of significant R&D delivery programs, guiding architectural delivery through DLC phases to ensure the architectural blueprint is realised.
- Contribute to the definition of the vision/scope document by evaluating the technical implications of the projects for implementation feasibility. Provide guidance on the pros and cons of possible implementation approaches and validate initial technology choices. Create the overall logical design of the solution during the specification phase.
- Create high-level technical designs according to ERTs SWI for Software Architecture documentation. Review solution architectures to ensure they match the enterprise architecture, evaluating alternative design solutions to meet agreed business needs, technical standards and best practices.
- Ensure solution architectures meet documented business requirements, non-functional requirements & KPIs (including service level, availability, user experience, transactional and security).
- Ensure solution architectures are cost efficient and that effective monitoring, reporting and metering controls are built in (compute, network and storage costs).
- Ensure "security-by-design" of applications and data, including:
- System/device/application architecture ensures compliance with applicable data privacy and security laws and regulations.
- Applications and application interfaces (APIs) meet industry standards required to protect customer data and meet compliance and legal obligations.
- Applications data input and output security, encryption methodologies stored locally (device), in transit (network) and persisted (database) is defined.
- Data processing functions are documented end-to-end per data flow.
- Act as a quality gate for architectural artefacts as well as a consultant for other specification artefacts at the request of the author or reviewer. Effectively communicate the architectural vision to all stakeholders, ensuring buy-in and compliance
- Effectively lead a team of Architects building new or extending existing products. Mentor other Architects and engineering staff. Provide training on new technologies and development standards.
- Extensive experience in the development of software
- Experience in architecting full stack solutions
- AWS or Azure design and delivery experience desirable (or equivalent)
- Bachelor's or master's degree in Computer Science (or a related field).
- Cloud certification desirable (e.g. AWS or Azure Architect certification)
- TOGAF certification desirable
- Proficient in the use of UML 2.1
- Experience in the use of Enterprise Architect (Sparx Systems) desirable
- Extensive software development experience utilizing Agile and DevOps, CI / CD
- Understanding of Cloud Security best practices
- Knowledge of a wide array of Infrastructure and Platform technologies including distributed data stores, container management and serverless architecture.
- Knowledge of Infrastructure automation
- Knowledge of IaaS and Private Cloud solutions
- Experience of application migration to Cloud.
- Expertise in developing technology roadmaps
- Experience of Kubernetes design and deployment
- Experience of Identity & access management
- Experience of Security (Encryption, PKI)
- Good working knowledge of standard service models (like ITIL)
- Understanding of data-centre infrastructure.
- Understanding of network communications and related technologies.
- Deep technical knowledge of ERT products (or equivalent clinical trials domain experience)
- Experience of Domain-Driven Design / Bounded Context Analysis
- Knowledge of software engineering frameworks and methodologies
- Knowledge of risk management techniques
- Experience of operating at highly varying levels of abstraction including business strategy, product strategy, technical design and implementation.