Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Managing Quantity Surveyor to join our Highways team to work in Winchester.
What you'll be doing
- A Managing Quantity Surveyor is a very experienced QS who manages all costs relating on a large building and civil engineering projects or on a number of smaller ones, from the initial calculations to the final figures;
- They will have significant experience in minimising the costs of a project and enhancing value for money, while still achieving the required standards and quality;
- Typically they will have a track record of managing a commercial team and be a Chartered Member of the RICS, ICES or CIOB, and a mentor to other commercial staff on their journey to becoming professionally qualified.
As a Managing Quantity Surveyor you will involve:
Business and Customer Awareness:
- A good knowledge of and adheres to the Companys GMCEs, BMS and other governance.
- The ability to mitigate potentially damaging situations;
- Communicating the good things Cost.
- Appling principles of cost management & elemental cost analysis including life cycle implications where required;
- Recognising and understands cost sensitive areas.
- Undertaking risk analysis in the context of construction;
- Managing the preparation of Target Costs.
- Reviewing progress of the project against the various programmes;
- Preparation of delay and disruption programmes;
- Monitoring & controls critical elements of the process;
- Identifying & communicates threats to budget & programme.
- Reporting and explain the commercial progress to senior project staff;
- Cost Planning and pre-contract cost control;
- Managing commercial aspects with Customer and Stakeholders for their area of responsibility.
- Evaluating and negotiating tenders including Subcontractors and suppliers;
- Assessing and identify risks and opportunities as part of risk management.
Development, Recruitment and Retention:
- Managing customer and stakeholder management for their area of responsibility;
- Risk and opportunity analysis;
- Advising and contractual matters and formulating correspondence;
- Undertaking benchmarking exercises & sets / monitors Performance indicators (KPI);
- Maximises digital opportunities.
Who we're looking for
- Maintaining own Personal Development Plan;
- Managing HR/People aspects for direct and indirect reports (PDRs etc);
- Targeting work opportunities or activities that can develop individuals;
- Actively supports the development of others incl professional mentoring;
- Managing recruitment of lower grades up to QS.
Personal Qualities and Experience:
The following qualifications are essential:
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- BSc or MSc in Quantity Surveying or experience equivalent;
- Membership of RICS, ICES or CIOB.
Why work for us
- Strategic change Management;
- Achievement Focus (Achieving Results);
- Business and Customer Awareness;
- Promotes organisational aims & objectives;
- Manages customer needs;
- Manages opportunities & threats.
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
Our Highways Business Unit maintain, manage and operate major highway networks across the UK and support local authorities creating communities where people want to live, work and play.
We provide high quality asset strategy, management and planning consultancy services to a wide range of public and private sector customers. We also provide specialist, reliable, sustainable and creative advice for asset management planning and implementation in the UK.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.