Johnson Matthey (‘JM’) is a global leader in science that enables a cleaner and healthier world. With over 200 years of sustained commitment to innovation and technological breakthroughs, we improve the function, performance and safety of our customers’ products. Our science has a global impact in areas such as low emission transport, pharmaceuticals, chemical processing and making the most efficient use of the planet’s natural resources. Today more than 14,000 Johnson Matthey professionals collaborate with our network of customers and partners to make a real difference to the world around us.
Efficient Natural Resources is an autonomous business, one of four sectors within Johnson Matthey, with revenues of circa £1 billion (circa £7 billion including precious metals) and operations worldwide.
Platinum Group Metal Services (PGMS) is one of four businesses within the Efficient Natural Resources Sector that manages, distributes, refines and recycles precious metals and fabricates products using precious metals and related materials. The business unit also manufactures platinum group metals, minor metal compounds, organometallics and fine metal powders for high technology applications, as well as providing a range of management services for platinum group metals.
PGMS has manufacturing operations in the UK, US and China and sells to key markets globally across Europe, the US and Asia.
We have a new opening for an experienced materials expert / metallurgist to research and develop new platinum group metal (PGM) products to meet growing customer demands. This role will provide opportunity to work on projects that are aimed at producing next generation PGM devices/products to a wide range of sectors (automotive, aerospace, biomedical, glass and chemical products). Using your expertise in materials science/metallurgy, you will push the boundaries to address prevailing challenges and customer demands.
· Demonstrates compliance to all EHS standards in the factory and Industrial Materials laboratory, review and manage EHS documentation including COSHH and Risk Assessments
· Plan and execute experiments contributing to platform/programme level research projects
· Analyse and present experimental output to internal and external stakeholders
· Write process instructions and specification for production trials
· Hold expertise in pgm metallurgy and provide technical support to projects within R&D and production teams
· Lead and manage projects and regularly report project updates by writing monthly reports, presenting in meetings and project reports
· Bring new ideas for improving/introducing new products and processes
· Review patents and manage intellectual property in specific areas of interest
· Attend customer sites with commercial project leads to understand customer requirements and provide technical support to customer queries
· Be innovative and offer solutions to resolve customer problems
· Generate cost models for products/processes
· Represent JM on the technical level at conferences, forums and trade fairs
· Build and manage relationships with internal and external stakeholdersAre you the ideal candidate?
You will have:
· Degree in Materials Science, Metallurgy or related subject
· Relevant industrial experience in related field to metallurgy (PGM metallurgy)
· Knowledge of metal manufacturing/processing methods e.g. casting, forging, rolling, drawing, etc.
· Good knowledge of metal properties and their industrial applications
· Ability to plan and execute experiments and production trials
· Experience of leading and managing industry focused projects
· Innovative thinker and natural problem solver with the ability to deliver practical solutions to problems
· Communicating and presenting clearly to technical and non-technical audience
· Proficient in MS Office including specifically Macros within Excel
· Experience of using experimental design (DoE) or statistical analysis software such as JMP, MiniTab is desirable
· Experience of writing technical reports and specification documents