Stantec provides professional consulting services in planning, engineering, architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, surveying, environmental sciences, project management, and project economics for infrastructure and facilities projects. We benefit communities by utilising digital technology to help our clients to meet the challenge of building, operating and maintaining assets safely. Our digital services enable our clients to manage risks to service levels, people and the environment, driving insights from big data that enables proactive management of assets and more informed investment planning.
To develop digital services with global, multi-sector relevance, we work within networks of multi-disciplinary teams. Our teams are collaborative, engaging, innovative development environments that attract the best experts working in the field of environmental and engineering technology solutions. We are recruiting for a Senior Data Engineer to join our Digital Services team in Cardiff or the Midlands. Our team successfully collaborates virtually with each other and with clients, and we embrace this way of working in order to minimize our carbon footprint however please be prepared for some remote working and travel within this role.
As a Senior Data Engineer, your role is important to the delivery of innovative digital solutions for our internal business and our clients operating in the fields of water/wastewater, energy and resources, transportation and environmental management. You will work within a specialist Digital Services team providing technology and programming support to the team and a range of projects. Your input into the Digital solutions being developed in our wider engineering consultancy business will be key. You will be part of our global team, helping to develop new services to budget within our quality and risk management framework.
At your level you will be able to design and lead the implementation of data flows to connect systems, data for analytics and business intelligence (BI) systems and you will have a good working knowledge of Esri products. At this level, you will recognise opportunities to re-use existing data flows, optimise code to ensure processes perform optimally, lead work on database management, understand best practice for designing database structures.
The successful candidate will have a degree in engineering or science and ideally an environmental or technology related MSc. Corporate membership of an engineering, environmental or technology institution would strengthen the candidate's application.
The successful candidate will:
- Be a competent senior geospatial data engineer/analyst achieving practitioner-level competence in mapping and geospatial analytics software including ArcGIS products
- Demonstrate an innovative and inquisitive nature.
- Know how to communicate to and between technical and non-technical stakeholders as well as facilitate discussions within a multidisciplinary team, with potentially difficult dynamics. You can advocate for the team externally. You know how to manage different perspectives.
- Know how to design, build and test data solutions that are complex or large-scale.
- Know how to select and implement the appropriate technologies to deliver resilient, scalable and future-proofed data solutions.
- Know how to review requirements, specifications and define test conditions. You can identify issues and risks associated with work while being able to analyse and report test activities and results.
The ideal candidate will:
- Utilise programming languages to automate tasks and processes (e.g. Python)
- Have experience of business intelligence software (e.g. Microsoft Power BI or equivalent)
- Have experience of data mining/ manipulation (e.g. FME)
- Know how to use agreed standards and tools to design, code, test, correct and document moderate-to-complex programs and scripts from agreed specifications and subsequent iterations. You can collaborate with others to review specifications where appropriate.
- Know how to respond to problems in databases, data processes, data products and services as they occur. You can initiate actions, monitor services, and identify trends to resolve problems. You can determine the appropriate remedy and assist with implementation of it as well as preventative measures.
- Have experience of leading more junior staff as part of delivering geospatial digital solutions.
Experience of engineering or environmental data science related analytics would be an advantage. Any evidence of the skills listed above (including examples from non-work activities or academic projects) would strengthen a candidate's application. Most importantly, you'll embody our values and ethos of client focus and service excellence. Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected VeteransApply for this job