We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer who will act as a lead with a high emphasis on inspiring, mentoring and helping others to develop and to be the best version of themselves.
What you'll do:
Taking a holistic view, you will collaborate and influence across technical, product, skills or social domains. As a Principal Software engineer you will Inspire the creation of the simplest solutions to complex business problems resulting in rock solid, high value products.
You will Influence and challenge our development ecosystem. Maintaining a keen awareness of industry advances and new thinking to ensure we can benefit from opportunities as they arise.
Working to create an environment and culture of continual learning across the department and beyond. You will be an ambassador for CDL, bringing new ideas into the teams and sharing knowledge internally and externally. There is opportunity to lead research and design activities in order to identify new and alternative technology solutions into the CDL products and services to meet business requirements in line with our strategy.
CDL is one of the UK’s leading software development houses, employing over 600 people at its campus in Stockport. It has a consistent track record in the high-volume retail insurance sector. CDL has spearheaded developments in the aggregator, web and telematics space, including connected home, enrichment and self-service solutions. As a result, the company’s robust and innovative technologies have enabled its customers to thrive in the highly competitive UK insurance marketplace.
We've built a collaborative and creative culture where we employ agile techniques to deliver our pace-setting applications. We pride ourselves on being part of a collaborative, inspiring working environment, with our employees at the heart of our company.
- Track record of delivering improvements into teams via tools, standards or other means, and seeing them through to a successful implementation.
- Experience with Gitlab CI, Log4j2.x, Logback, Fluentd/Fluentbit.
- Experience working with JEE and EJB.
- Proven track record of designing solutions to customer requirements with clarity on long term maintainability, testability and overall implications for current solutions
- Excellent understanding and working knowledge of the programming languages and tools that are requisite specialisms of the job holder.
- Demonstrable experience using version control software such as Git
- An ability to create a habitable code base with a clearly understood and consistent approach to design and modularisation, ensuring that knowledge is split sensibly across components of the code base.
- Demonstrable experience of working with and designing cloud-based solutions including best practices at scale using a platform such as AWS
- Demonstrable experience of automation through continuous integration pipelines, infrastructure management and configuration.
- Software development skills including the relevant DevOps principles and the ability to document designs and solutions effectively.
- Demonstrable experience of Agile methodologies and an ability to convert business requirements/data requests into simple, cloud only, technical solutions.
- Experience with core Java (8+) as well as IoC containers and frameworks such as Spring and an appreciation of their benefits such as dependency inversion, loose coupling and testability.
- Knowledge of unit testing tools and techniques, including Test-Driven-development.
Nice to have:
**This role will initially start in a fully remote capacity, once we return to the campus there are home working options in place**
- Top employer for 4th year running
- Flexible hours
- Flexible working - home working options
- Excellent training and development platform
- Opportunities for career progression
- Health and Wellbeing programme
- Mental Health First Aiders
- Virtual activities, lunch and learns, coffee mornings and meetups.
- 25 days holiday to start
- Life and health assurance
- Pension scheme
- Community projects
- Dress down policy
- On-site free parking
- Open plan modern offices
- Shuttle bus to and from the station
- Subsidised restaurant
- Games room and chill out zone
- Social activities, regular social events through our social group Xtra, including a summer bbq, competitions, bowling, go-karting, football games, Winter party and much more!
- Car wash, barber, yoga classes, boot camp and massage services all on site
- Cycle to work scheme
- Shower and dry rooms