Financial Control & Ledgers Manager - Chesterfield
Salary from £54,500 per annum plus £5,500 car allowance, up to 18% performance related bonus and 27.5 days annual leave
At Royal Mail, Finance is at the heart of everything we do.
We facilitate ecommerce, power a dynamic economy and connect communities. We are committed to being the best delivery service in the UK. We are transforming our business by harnessing technology and empowering our people. We embrace change to maintain momentum, building on our 500 years of experience
We’re recruiting now for a Financial Control & Ledgers Manager to join our Finance team in Chesterfield.
In this exciting and high-profile role, you’ll be responsible for the implementation and management of a financial reporting control framework, including assuring compliance with key financial controls and supporting wider governance and risk management activity. An integral part of this is responsibility for the UK ledgers ensuring appropriate control standards are applied in this area
You’ll lead financial control improvements to ensure that Royal Mail can comply with existing and future internal control requirements (e.g. Implementing the requirements of the recently issued BEIS white paper on corporate governance reform) and have accountability for balance sheet reconciliations and production of balance sheet review packs.
Working with the with the Finance Directors and control operators, you’ll play an active part to identify and remedy deficiencies with financial reporting controls and develop and maintain a communications plan to provide feedback on financial reporting controls to senior management.
Using your stake holder management and influencing skills, you’ll build and co-ordinate relationships with external and internal auditors working on internal controls relating to financial reporting.
Furthermore, you’ll prepare and update end-to-end process documentation, ensuring that key financial reporting controls are documented, clear and understood, prepare communications to the Leadership Group on compliance with financial controls and on industry and corporate governance developments.
Other accountabilities include:
• Manage a team who are responsible for the ledger of RM company which will include leading, developing and upskilling the team.
• Develop and deploy an annual plan of activity including financial reporting risk assessments and testing of compliance with controls to conclude on their effectiveness, including the integrity of information used for control activities and system-generated reports.
• Prepare periodic communications to the Finance Leadership Group on compliance with financial controls and on relevant industry and corporate governance developments affecting financial controls.
• Work closely with the External Reporting Team to understand developments in accounting standards and financial reporting requirements and ensure internal control activities are aligned.
Team of 6, processing P&L and B/S for all units on ES-FS (£ bn income/expend), maintain asset registers for all units on ES-FS (asset base £2.5bn, c 80,000 assets)
Initially remote working, then based at Chesterfield (subject to government guidelines)
You need to be a ‘big 4’ qualified accountant with 5 -7 years post qualification experience and have proven experience of working for a large, complex PLC organisation.
• CCAB Big 4 qualified accountant (essential)
• Experience of working within a complex operating environment in a large listed business, with strong risk and control awareness.
• Experience of improving financial control either through audit engagements / secondments to industry or from roles working in industry.
• Excellent knowledge of financial reporting / internal control frameworks e.g. 2013 COSO framework, or other similar internal control frameworks.
• Good knowledge of corporate governance and risk management.
• Proven management and leadership skills.
• Strong interpersonal and written communication skills, with proven ability to build relationships with senior management in a complex business environment.
• Track record of leading change, implementing improvements and successfully influencing senior management.
• Strong analytical and data analysis skills with the ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner.
• Strong project management skills and able to demonstrate adaptability.
• Strong commercial awareness, including industry, corporate governance, risk management and financial reporting.
At Royal Mail we connect companies, customers and communities across the country, delivering a ‘one-price-goes-anywhere’, universal postal service to more than 30 million addresses. As one of the UK’s leading companies, we are focused on being recognised as the best delivery company in the UK and across Europe.
We are an inclusive employer with equality, diversity and fairness at the heart of our values. We welcome applications from individuals from all different backgrounds and are committed to promoting fair participation and equality of opportunity for all of our job applicants.
For more information on Royal Mail Group and our values please click here: https://jobs.royalmailgroup.com/content/About-Us/?locale=en_GB
Closing Date: Monday, 12th April 2021. Please note, this advert may close early if the appropriate number of applications has been reached.
Job Segment: Financial, Accounting, Manager, Risk Management, Data Analyst, Finance, Management, Data