We’re looking for a Senior User Researcher (Data) who can help us understand our customers, how they use our product, and what we can do to better meet their needs.
This person will help us improve discrete experiences, amplify the value we already provide for a new set of users, or identify totally new product opportunities. If you get excited about evaluating an experience, collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams and setting a product-wide strategy, this might be for you.
We care deeply about inclusive working practices and diverse teams. We’re keen to ensure we’re designing a bank that works for everyone, so we particularly encourage applications from underrepresented demographics.
What you’ll do everyday
- Identify opportunities for improving our user experience. To do this you’ll collect and analyse behavioural, experiment and survey data and support others to do the same.
- Build new systems that help us better understand our user experience. You’ll identify the metrics that will help us measure the usability of our product. You’ll work with others to put them in place where those metrics aren’t yet captured in the right ways.
- Identify the root causes of wider customer experience issues. You’ll work with multi-disciplinary teams to bring together not just app data but brand insights, app reviews, satisfaction ratings and customer service data.
- Using your view of the whole product, you’ll shine a light on the most important parts of the user experience for us to improve. To do that you’ll work with Product Managers, Product Designers, Marketeers, Engineers, Customer Operations and other User Researchers and Data Scientists.
You should apply if
- You’ve made a demonstrable impact on a customer facing product before, and want to do the same at Monzo.
- You have hands-on experience in using quantitative research methods and connected different sources of primary and secondary data to build actionable insights.
- You enjoy working directly with data. You’ve analysed customer segments, discovered new opportunities, tracked goals or defined target user lists for surveys and you have an understanding of basic statistical concepts like statistical significance.
- You think big, and start small. You can break down your ambitious vision into achievable actions that add value quickly and often.
- You bring people together. You collaborate with others to build shared understanding and prioritise actionable insights to get work on the roadmap.
- You’re proactive, adaptable and resilient with a positive mindset. You’re able to balance robust study design with the practicalities of a fast-moving company.
Even better if
This isn’t for you if
- You have basic SQL skills that allow you to write custom queries for data analysis
- You understand more advanced statistical techniques (like cluster and regression analysis) or can perform them in Python
- You’ve helped companies tailor their products to different user groups by segmenting customers
- You have experience improving customer metrics like Net Promoter Score and Customer Effort Scores
- You have a couple of research methods you love and want to stick to. You’ll enjoy this role if you love flexing your approach and learning new skills as you go.
- You like working on neat problems. You’ll be the first person in this role in the company so you’ll need to define what you focus on.
- You want to move on once you’ve built your dashboard or written your report. You’ll love this role if you’re tenacious about making sure your work results in impact.
- This is your first research job. We’re a small team at a fast-paced company, so we need someone to hit the ground running.
- You want to focus on people management. You’ll lead work which changes the direction of the company, and you’ll mentor others, but the initial scope of the role is as an individual contributor and doesn’t include managing people.
Our data stack at Monzo
Monzo Data has a modern, cloud native, event driven infrastructure. We capture a range of data points - from client analytics on how our users interact with app, the products they engage with, and the ways they use their core Monzo account. All of our data is streamed into Google BigQuery and available for analysis in SQL, Looker and Python.
- Initial call with a Monzo Recruiter (30 min)
- Initial call with Director of User Research (30 min)
- Task you can choose to take home or do as part of your “on-site” interview (30 mins)
- Virtual "on-site" interview with folks from User Research, Design, Data & Product teams (3 hours)
We want to give people applying for roles at Monzo the best opportunity to succeed and we design our process to do that. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
We’re currently hiring for this role across multiple levels. Don’t worry if you’re not sure which level of seniority best fits your experience. We want to find brilliant people. We’ll work with you to find the right Monzo level for you if you’re invited to interview.
While the pandemic is still here, everyone at Monzo is welcome to work remotely. When things return to normal, we'd like you to be able to be part of working in a team environment in our London office at least 1 day a week.
The salary range at this level starts from £55,000+ per annum, as well as a competitive benefits package. We're happy to discuss in more detail in your initial call with us to make sure we're aligned with the package you're seeking in your next role.