Ted’s Guide to what the Brand Protection and Legal Executive does around here…
Ted’s Mission Statement
Our Mission is to build a successful company through the creation of a leading designer brand. By conducting ourselves in an efficient and courteous manner and by maintaining Ted’s high standards and integrity, we pride ourselves in always being in a position to satisfy the needs of our customer. In order to protect the ethos and persona for which we have gained an enviable reputation, we always ask ourselves the question: ‘Would Ted do it that way?’**
Where does this role fit within Ted's Team?
The Brand Protection and legal team sit within the Finance department. The key functions are to lead Ted’s brand protection operations, protect the business and its assets including intellectual property (trademarks, design rights and copy right), and its contractual rights through having place strong contractual rights and IP protections together with proactive sharing of knowledge to effectively enable the business to protect the brand and product knowledge.
We are looking for someone with a minimum of 2+ years’ experience in a brand protection role with a global brand, who can learn quickly to apply legal and IP support to the business and within the team. It will involve working with all areas of the business and effective communication will be critical. You will report to the Legal Counsel and be part of the Legal function within Finance.
• Develop and implement Ted’s brand protection and enforcement strategy in line with Ted’s global IP and transformation strategy to protect Ted’s products and brands.
• To develop knowledge of IP rights and procedures relating to counterfeit products in worldwide territories to best protect the business.
• Develop and maintain relationships with local counsel, investigators, enforcement bodies for both online and on-the-ground actions and effectively co-ordinate with such bodies.
• Work with customs agencies globally on seizures and other anti-counterfeiting activities.
• Manage external vendors and monitoring global online marketplaces for infringing products.
• Field and file brand protection take-down requests using third party monitoring tools and marketplace complaint systems.
• Maintaining legal & IP data/contract data bases ensuring accurate recording of takedowns, seizures, IP assignments etc.
• Drafting legal correspondence and short-form contracts such as C&D letters and IP assignment agreements
• Advising the business and enforcing IP rights as appropriate.
• Conduct and analyse trademark clearances and communicate search results to business stakeholders.
• Assist with all aspects of international and domestic trademark filing, prosecution and maintenance.
Establish & maintain:
• Database of IP inspections and prosecutions worldwide.
• Analyse IP data pulled about infringers and highlight data trends to target prolific counterfeit sellers.
• Build and maintain a database of contractual relationships (e.g. wholesale/licence/concessions)
• Costs and budget tracking.
• Prepare and update Brand Protection and IP guides and all other relevant material.
• Collect, photograph and prepare statements, design comparisons and design history to assist in enforcement actions.
• Precedent database to support Legal Counsel
• Act as initial contact point with enforcement agencies and assist in those enquiries.
• Prepare accurate witness statements and necessary exhibits on behalf of the business to best protect the IP/Legal rights
• Assist with diary management and co-ordination of travel/meetings.
Tools of the Trade…
• A minimum of 2+ years’ experience in a brand protection/IP role with a global brand.
• A strong understanding of enforcement, preferably with some corporate business experience.
• A strong understanding of IP law, including copyright.
• Demonstrable experience in working with Law Enforcement Agencies as well as other organisations.
• Computer literate including Microsoft Office Packages.
• Excellent communication skills, including excellent written and verbal English skills.
• Proactive, Flexible and Enthusiastic.
• Able to multi task & have a proactive, hands-on approach.
• Possess drive, take pride in their work and be able to deliver to a high standard.
• Accuracy, attention to detail and analytical abilities are essential.
• Strong organization, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required.
• Must have a demonstrated ability to work independently or as part of a successful team.
• Confident speaker with good interpersonal skills.
• Authentic We have the freedom to be our ‘best self’, being true to ourselves and others
• Kind We try to do the right thing: for each other, our communities, our planet and for Ted
• Curious We are hungry to explore, innovate and think differently
• Courageous We have the confidence to be brave, have fun and discover the unexpected
• Inclusive We embrace and respect individuality and celebrate difference & diversity
Ted Baker is committed to equal opportunities and embraces diversity, understanding the needs and benefits of a balanced, inclusive workforce. We do not tolerate any harassment or discrimination towards any of our candidates or employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer.
The number of jobs in each salary range for all: