Conversion / Slitter Machine Operator
Location: Wigan, Lancashire, WN5 0LQ.
Contract: Full time, permanent.
With a presence in 9 countries and over 10,000 employees, Saica Group manufacture sustainable recycled paper, corrugated cardboard and flexible packaging as well as providing solutions for waste management and the recovery of waste. Our Flex division produces a range of flexible plastic films, with our site in Wigan manufacturing products for major food retailers and suppliers.
About the role
Due to Sales growth, we have an opportunity for an individual to join our team, with experience of setting up and operating conversion machinery to slit, punch, perf or trim a wide range of plastic film and bags. Reporting to the Leading Hand, your key duties will include:
• Operate in line with site health and safety, environmental and quality standards, ensuring compliance with standard operating procedures
• Work in line with site standards for BRC, ISO & A2 environmental
• Contribute to site performance improvement and waste initiatives
• Operate processes in line with lean manufacturing techniques including SMED and the 5S principles
• Ensure Customer expectations are achieved by following the product specification requirements
• Identify and report non conformities, correcting deficiencies together with the Shift Manager and QA. Additionally, to be fully observant of all machinery maintenance and report any deficiencies to the Shift Manager as required
• Monitor machinery output to exceed and deliver targets
• Work with colleagues in Service regarding completed reels ready for authorisation and despatch
• Support the training of colleagues as and when required
• Maintain a clean, safe working environment. Ensure that all spills are logged and cleaned immediately. Also, ensure your colleagues are working in a safe way in your area.
• Ensure you are on plan and have the next job ready and waiting for your colleague.
• Complete shift handovers to ensure a smooth transition and continuous production. As a matter of routine, ensure the machinery is in an appropriate operational condition and that the next shift has been briefed on where production is up to and any other relevant production issues.
• Optimise the change overs, as H&S and quality allow.
• To complete all production reports at the end of each production run
• To liaise with the Production Planner as required on completion of production run.
• Inform the onsite Maintenance Engineer of any machinery breakdowns quickly and efficiently.
• Display flexibility to support other areas of Production as and when required
Quality focused, with a high level of attention to detail, you will be able to demonstrate previous experience of working with conversion/slitter machinery including laser, punch and hot needle. Able to work as part of a team within a shift system, you will also be comfortable supporting colleagues as and when required to ensure production targets are met.
The site operates a 24/7 shift system spread over four-week pattern. A willingness to work a shift pattern covering days, nights and weekends is essential.
Interested? Please click on ‘Apply' and submit your CV and a cover letter detailing your current salary.