We are delighted to announce a superb opportunity for an Assistant Company Secretary to join Aviva’s UK General Insurance (GI) division on a permanent basis. The key focus for this role will be to assist our Senior Assistant Secretary in the provision of high-end company secretarial and corporate governance support, ultimately enabling the Boards within Aviva UKGI to set and achieve strategic goals.
This position is a fantastic chance to join a busy, business-critical department. We are looking for someone to ‘hit the ground running’ and therefore prior exposure to working as part of a company secretarial office for a large business is essential.
The successful candidate will benefit from Aviva’s current “smart working” arrangement and can be based out of either our London or Norwich office, however some travel between to these and other Aviva offices will be required from time to time.
The role’s duties & responsibilities:
· Providing high quality company secretarial support and advice to Aviva’s UKGI subsidiary boards and senior management, running a portfolio of companies and undertaking a key role on the cyclical duties of the department such as Year End, Directors Emoluments/Declarations, S172 drafting, Companies House filings, projects, etc.
· Implementing and enforcing governance and best practice policies and procedures - researching and investigating issues and preparing associated documents
· Identifying, analysing and managing company secretarial risks, ensuring these are reported in accordance with the Legal and Company Secretarial Standard
· Ensuring that minutes and other documentation are produced accurately and to a high standard
· Exercising strong and proactive management of relationships with key business partners, showcasing professional interpersonal skills
Skills & experiences required:
· Prior experience within a company secretarial role, for a large corporate business
· Experience with regulated environments/financial services
· Ideally degree educated as well as FCIS/ACIS qualified
· Strong working knowledge of company law, administration and corporate governance
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, with robust digital literacy
· Discretion, gravitas and integrity
· Familiarity with the general insurance or investment industry would be phenomenal to see
What will you get for this position?
· A competitive salary depending on location, skills, experience and qualifications
· Generous defined contribution pension scheme
· Annual performance related bonus and pay review
· Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
· Up to 40% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family (some exclusions apply)
· Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Working at Aviva
At Aviva, we’re people with a purpose. To be with you today, for a better tomorrow.
We bring this to life by ensuring managing risk is at the heart of the way we all work. We love people who do the right thing for our customers, and our colleagues. We want people who speak up, who take ownership, and who make good decisions.
The way we do this is important too, we’re all about our people – that’s you – so we can be pretty flexible. If you want to work from home some of the time or change your hours so you can pick up your kids or care for someone in your family, we’re very open to that. In fact, we don’t advertise roles as either part or full time, because we know each person has different needs, just as each business area has different needs. So, it’s up to you to discuss working hours during your interview.
We care deeply about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want our employees to bring their whole self to work and that starts with you.
We interview every disabled applicant* that meets the minimum criteria for the job . Once you’ve applied, please send us a separate email stating that you have a disclosed disability and we’ll make sure we interview you.
We’d love it if you could submit your application online . If you require an alternative method of applying, please give Daniel Hopchet a call on 0121 234 7625 or send an email to Daniel.Hopchet@Aviva.com .
*As defined in The Equality Act 2010 *. By ‘ minimum criteria’ we mean you should provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required and have the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential to perform the role.