Lead Engineer – Design
- In a nutshell, we build buses and coaches. In fact, more than half of the buses you see on the roads in the UK are built by Alexander Dennis. We have a huge responsibility for keeping the world moving.
- We are saving the planet. Our purpose is to support Governments globally with their push to reduce pollution and improve air quality by building greener, more eco-friendly buses.
- We love our customers. So much so, almost every bus we build is bespoke – what the customer wants, we will do our best to deliver.
- We have a fantastic Canadian parent company called NFI. They welcomed us into the family in 2019, and we haven’t looked back ever since.
- There is no doubt about it – it was a tough 2020 for Alexander Dennis. But now we are building back, winning new orders in Germany and Ireland which will be manufactured right here in the UK.
- Our global footprint is pretty impressive. We have a presence in some super cool places across the world from Hong Kong to Auckland to Toronto.
Want to know even more? Check out our YouTube channel here!
Your Dream Role
- An exciting opportunity for a Lead Engineer to join our successful, international business.
- Lead teams of on-shore and off-shore engineers and design partners on one or more projects to define, deliver and verify design requirements with sign-off through DFMEA, design review and supplier approval processes.
- Lead the support of New Product Introduction at UK and international build sites and manage any build issues through to closure.
- Ensure common system designs, interfaces and principles are applied consistently across all systems, platforms, and territories.
- Lead the upfront development and testing of new designs to identify issues and improvements at the earliest opportunity and address them prior to product introduction.
- Our customers mean a lot to us. Exceed our customer’s expectations by developing reliable, safe, and secure designs for global markets.
- We are a fast-paced business with priorities shifting all the time. Partner with internal and external stakeholders, including suppliers, to achieve quality, cost and delivery targets for each project.
- Opportunities like this don’t come along often – you will have the opportunity to innovate and be exposed to complex projects globally.
- Learn from the best. All of this will give you the right skills and experience to develop your career further.
- Experience of working in a similar role within a manufacturing or engineering environment.
- If you have this experience from the bus or automotive industry – even better!
- Relationship building will come easily to you – across all levels of seniority internally and externally.
- Have an active interest in vehicle-based technologies and developments, and a detailed understanding of vehicle design.
- Strive for continuous improvement – always looking for ways to do things better.
- Driven, curious, with a positive attitude and a can-do approach to problem solving.
- Things can be hectic here. You will thrive on being busy and be an expert multi-tasker.
- Generally, someone who is approachable, with a strong work ethic and a desire to succeed.
- Educated to degree level in Engineering or equivalent experience in a relevant discipline.
- A self-starter who takes personal pride in all work from start to finish.
- Willing to travel to support UK and international projects.
- The opportunity to work for a company doing amazing things for our environment.
- A competitive salary package – we aim to reward our people at the level they deserve.
- A half day every Friday. Yes, every Friday. A long weekend, every weekend.
- You will work with some incredibly intelligent and driven people and get involved with complex projects you won’t find anywhere else.
- We don’t employ people and tell them what to do. You will have the opportunity to change and improve the way we do things which is always good for your personal development.
If this sounds like you, and you’re interested in coming ‘aboard’, then we would love to hear from you. Alongside uploading your CV, please share a short covering letter detailing why you’re interested and why we should hire you!
Due to the volume of applications received, please note that those submitted without a covering letter may not be reviewed.
*Recommend a Friend is applicable for this role.
We care deeply about being inclusive and we encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Due to the volume of vacancies and applications, we would prefer that you submit your application online. If however, you require an alternative method of applying, please give us call on +44 1324 621 672 or send an email to email@example.com