The Deployment team is responsible for deploying our Universal Autonomy product, in its many forms, to customers across the globe. This ranges from Proof of Concept demonstrations with our own vehicles to supporting functional deployments with our software deployed on client vehicles around the world.
This involves deploying and debugging our software product in novel and diverse environments. With a strong knowledge foundation, inquisitive mind set and attention to detail we succeed in taking development code into the field to address customer needs and turn our autonomy stack into their solutions.
Your core accountabilities will include:
- Integrating cutting edge software and/or hardware onto Oxbotica platforms to showcase the forefront of our technology to customers whilst continually driving autonomy development internally.
- Developing and refining the end-to-end autonomy system such that the software and hardware work seamlessly together on vehicles for on-road and off-road domains.
- Applying your robotics knowledge to direct thorough systematic technical investigations to specify the root cause of any issues and work with software and hardware development teams to provide robust and reliable solutions.
- You will identify and strategise areas of improvement for efficiency and scalability with the AV fleet to ensure sustainable growth, iterative development, and rapid deployment.
Leadership and Management
- Leading technical direction within Deployment.
- Educating and mentoring members in Deployment
- Planning, reviewing, and highlighting technical risk or scope creep against project and program requirements
- Supporting vehicle test engineers and early career roboticists to interrogate and test appropriately before deployment to new domains and locations
- Attendance in leadership and development training.
- Designing, generating and reviewing high-quality, written, technical reports and visual media which represent the best results achievable by Oxbotica.
- Designing, generating and reviewing documents that address the requirements, objectives, constraints and functions of a proposed project/deliverable.
- Liaising with leaders throughout the company to understand the overall drive, direction and technical requirements of the company, and how that impacts and steers the technical direction within Deployment.
- You will collaborate with a broad spectrum or Oxbotica including commercial, test, development, and product teams to set system requirements and improve new platforms, applications for all environments.
What you need to succeed:
- Demonstrable capability in field robotics gained through delivering multiple robotics projects over a significant period of time
- A deep understanding of complex systems and an appreciation of how components of these systems interact with each other and with the real world through hardware interfaces.
- A solid understanding of setting requirements, test definition and execution for complex systems.
- Demonstrable exposure to C++ and Python in industry or in field robotics
- Ability to mentor early career engineers.
- Able to work flexibly and adapt your approach with shifting priorities.
- A passion for problem solving
Extra kudos if you have:
- Defined safety critical operational procedures
- A degree (or equivalent) in Engineering/Robotics/Computer Science/GIS or related subject
- Exposure to the real-world issues inherent in a minimum of one of these domains: perception, scene understanding, prediction, or planning algorithms.
- Worked with large codebases
- Worked in highly technical or scientific environments.
- Delivered a product/application/service to a customer (including business, internal or consumer customers)
- A deep understanding of robotics as a system
- Understanding of the physics of sensing technology for autonomous vehicles (i.e. LiDAR, RADAR).
- Worked with large datasets
- You possibly have more than one robotics project on the go, inventing new problems to be solved and robots to solve them.
- Possibly one working with an international autonomy business
- Possibly one working with a robotics company
Please note that as an integral step of our hiring model, we require you to complete our Work Sample Questions as part of the application process. These questions help provide us with predictive ways to assess your capabilities to work with us and also form part of our debiased recruitment journey.
Our successful Lead Robotics will enjoy:
- Annual performance and salary review
- Salary exchange pension scheme
- Company Share Scheme
- 25 Days annual leave plus 8 days bank holidays as long as you promise to come back
- A flexible £3,000 personal benefit fund with core benefits including private medical insurance, critical illness cover; life assurance, EAP, group income protection, health cash and the option to tailor your benefits package to suit your individual needs
- Relocation support along with visa sponsorship if required
We create the conditions to help you do your best. We do all we can to create opportunities for everyone regardless of personal circumstances. As part of this commitment, we offer a variety of flexible working arrangements including:
- Extended parental leave
- Unpaid sabbatical
We work 37.5 hours a week, Monday - Friday around core hours of 10:00 - 16:00. This is enough for most; but if you require any extra flexibility we will do what we can to support.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are on a journey to enable all vehicles to do more - we need unique people to get there.
Knowing that diversity drives innovation, brings different approaches, ideas and points of view, we embrace individuality & inclusion and are committed to an environment where everyone irrespective of background, can be the best they can be.
We celebrate building a culture where difference is valued. We are universal - Universal Autonomy.
Help us solve one of the world's greatest engineering challenges by being yourself.